17. Jefferson

After spending a few hours with his sisters, the only thing Thomas wanted was a nap he found his jacket tossed lazily on his bed with a piece of notebook paper laid on top of it that said 'You were wrong, it got warmer.' Hamilton wasn't anywhere inside, so Thomas figured that he went out to visit Laurens or some other person that he'd met. He moved the jacket to hang on the door to their bathroom, he thought it felt heavier than it should have but not enough to really check for anything. 

Jefferson turned off his phone so he wouldn't have to worry about Jane or Mary waking him up with annoying questions about the new candidate for "Mr. Easy Street".  He flopped onto his bed, enjoying the comfortable mattress instead of the hardwood floor. 

As usual, it didn't take long before he fell asleep.

So you can imagine how annoyed he was when he was woken up an hour later to the sound of a ringing phone. 

He turned over and pulled the pillow over his head to ignore whichever one of his sisters was calling. The phone eventually stopped ringing, only to start again ten seconds later. And so began the pattern of driving the man that can't operate without with sleep insane. After four more calls, Thomas snatched up his phone and pressed the home button. Then he remembered that his phone was off for this exact reason and listened for where the noise was actually coming from. 

He found Alexander's phone in the letterman's pocket, still ringing. Thomas figured that whoever it was wouldn't stop calling so he picked up the phone as soon as he did, someone was talking on the other end. 

"Dude, I've been trying to call you for an hour what the hell! Did you just forget about the situation out here?!" The voice on the other end shouted. He didn't give Thomas enough time to answer. "It doesn't matter, you need to get down here now. Meet me at the hospital.

For a second, Thomas forgot he was talking to one of Alex's friends. "Why?" 

"Why?! You know-- wait, this isn't Alex. Who are you? Never mind, I don't have time for that, I need to talk to Alexander. Where is he? Put him on the phone, it's important.

"He's sort of not here? I'm his roommate, though, maybe I could take a message or something like that?"

"Oh, you're Thomas then. He talks about you a lot. Look, I have to go. I need Al to get his ass over here now. Find him and tell him that his cousin called and it's about his mom, he'll understand if you say that." The other man rushed before hanging up. Thomas figured that he shouldn't wait to tell Hamilton about the phone call so he threw on the jacket. 

Thomas really didn't know where he could find Alex, so he decided to check the Hip Stir before anything else. If all the coffee cups that were in the trashcan were indicative of anything, it was definitely a caffeine addiction.

He probably should have expected Alex to be somewhere else considering they were just there a couple hours before and it would be way too packed for anyone in the mid-morning hours on a Saturday.

The next place that came to his mind was John's place, but he didn't really know where that was. He got an idea, but it was a longshot. If John never replaced his phone or changed his number, that might be a good way to get ahold of him. Chances are, Alex could be found hanging around John. 

Thomas quickly punched in John's number. He knew that Laurens wouldn't respond to a text, so a call was a better option. It took three tries before someone finally answered. 

"What do you want, Jefferson?" John asked coldly. 

"Is Hamilton there?" 

"Why do you care?