18. Jefferson

Thankfully, Alexander really did sleep without any nightmares. He also slept through the entire car ride and was only woken up by Thomas to make sure they were stopped in front of the right place. 

"I told you to wake me up after an hour!" 

"You weren't screaming, I figured you could use the rest. Is this the right place or what?" Thomas asked, leaning into the passenger's seat to look at the building. 

"Yeah, this is it," he muttered before jumping out of the car and dashing into the building. 

Thomas parked in the closest spot he could find and ran inside to catch up with Alexander. Thankfully, Alex was still at the desk when Thomas walked up, so he didn't have wait by himself in the waiting room. The two walked down the hall, gradually speeding up to a jog. 

While Hamilton ran inside the room with no hesitation, Thomas stood awkwardly in the doorway. He knew one out three of the people in the room and he wasn't comfortable with any of it.

"Al, could you please tell your mother that she needs to actually listen to the doctors?" The other man in room muttered. He sounded annoyed but his smile gave away his happiness. Alex visibly relaxed after seeing his family joking around with each other.

"Alexander, don't listen to him, dear. I listen to them fine, they don't listen to me! And they're all idiots." the small woman on the bed sat up as much as she could but Thomas could see that it was definitely a struggle for her. "Oh, who's that?" 

Thomas stood up straighter when everyone turned their attention to him. 

"That's my roommate, Mom. Thomas, remember? I've told you about him before. Jefferson, you can't block the door like an idiot for the entire time," Alex said. His mother smacked him on the arm. "Ow! What was that for!" 

"Thomas, was it?" the woman asked, turning her glare from her son to Thomas and letting it soften. "I'm Rachel. Come in, come in, there's nothing to be scared of. I won't bite. That is unless I turn into a zombie, in which case you all are, to put it in a modern light, ultimately screwed."

The other man whispered something in Alex's ear, making Alex punch his arm. "Peter! No!"

Peter laughed and shook his head, looking down at the watch on his wrist. "Ah, crap. I have to go." Thomas moved away from the door so he could get out. "Rachel, you listen to the doctors. They aren't idiots, they went to college to be here and they know what they're talking about. Alex--"

"Okay, you're going to be late, bye Peter!" Alex shouted. Peter rolled his eyes and left the room. 

Thomas watched as Alex talked to his mom about whatever came to his mind. He told her about John Laurens, his new best friend, and about John Adams, his new best spite-fueled motivation. He told her all about how he goes to the same school as the Schuylers, to which she insisted he tried to talk to them again. Alex said he would but the look on his face said that he was scared to try. 

Usually, Thomas would just block out Alexander's meaningless rants, especially since they weren't directed at him. They were usually to Laurens or to his the computer screen. He really didn't care what the loudmouth was passionate about, anyway, but this time was slightly different. Thomas watched every hand movement that Alex used to animate what he was saying and he tried to understand as much of the words coming from Alex's mouth as he could. Not because they were 'big words' or something, but the words were coming out at record speeds and it took a lot to keep up with them. Thomas figured that he'd been doing that a lot since he was younger because his mother seemed to keep up effortlessly, occasionally nodding and comment on the things that he said.