The Boss..3..

I step out of my shoes at the door, as I walk into my mother's house, and closed the door behind me. The coolness from the air conditioner hits my face, and I sigh, as I take down my hair and fluff it out.

"Wooo, I need a long bubble bath after sitting in that traffic." I sigh to myself as I unbutton my blazer.

"Hey, darling." Caroline, my mother, smiles from the couch as I turn around. "Stressed?"

She's sitting on the couch, reading a book, and she's still in her pajamas.

Why isn't she at work?

"Mother," I frown as I walk farther into the large living room to her. "what are you still doing here? Don't you have classes to teach?"

Caroline looks down at her imaginary watch and shakes her head. "Well, sure, but I cancelled my classes today."

"Why?" I ask as she takes a spoonful of Cookies N Cream ice cream into her mouth.

"Richard called and cancelled our date tonight and I wasn't up for seeing him in the halls of the university."

I sigh heavily, rolling my eyes, as she takes a larger bite of ice cream.

Richard is my mother's newest "boyfriend". That word is in quotations because I wouldn't call any of her male companions a "boyfriend". If you ask me, they're more fly by nighters, because she's been flying through them since she and my father, Malcolm Sr., divorced two years ago.

Since the divorce, it's been the same traffic of professional men, who aren't quite as professional as my father, trotting through this house.

For the most part, I was in college, so I didn't experience the stupidity firsthand. However, Taylor filled me in. Also, living here for the last six months has more than filled me in on just what my mother would do to have a man at her side. It makes me shake my head every time.

I mean, my mother is a prestigious college professor who has written award winning books about history. YET, when it comes to men... she's a smitten teenager, who smiles and laughs at their every joke and lets them do, say, and get away with anything without consequence.

I love her, but I'm so glad I'm not like her when it comes to men.

Caroline's looking for love in all the wrong place, literally. We all know she and my father both are still in love with each other. Though they both refuse to acknowledge the fact.

I run my fingers through my hair, watching, as my mother takes another spoonful of sweet depression into her mouth.

This pouty teenager routine when a date is cancelled is getting old.

But she's my mother; I'll indulge her a bit.

"Mama," I sigh as I flop beside her on the couch. "why are you letting these men bring you down?" I take the ice cream from her and take a bite from the spoon. "They're not worth it."

Caroline scoffs. "Says my daughter who refuses to be with any man."

"I'm all about my career at this point, Mama." I mutter, licking ice cream from my fingers. "I have no time for a man."

"Says the girl who has men drooling at her feet."

"Men are not drooling at my feet, Mama." I scoff.

Caroline reaches behind her and grabs a notepad.

"What's that?"

"Nick, Sam, and Eric all called after you left, darling, and in that order." She discloses as I roll my eyes. "These are the men drooling at your feet, my darling."