The Boss..9..

I sigh loudly before turning around to walk back to Eric.

Eric's already staring at me, curiously.

Legs, please don't shake.

Please do not show that Michael had a profound effect on me.

I can't--Oh, Jesus, legs work.

Eric's eyes remain locked on mine and he watches me calmly.

Finally, when I feel my legs are ready to function, I make my way to where Eric's standing.

"What was that?" He asks when I stop before him. "What were you two talking about?"

I pause, thinking of Michael's word. "Nothing really. Nothing at all."

"Nothing?"

"Yes, nothing."

"Then why'd he stay in the elevator so long? Y'all seemed to be talking about something, Tam. Therefore, it couldn't be "nothing really"."

"He was just telling me about the floors and stuff." I lie and Eric features knit. "And he apologized for Mika treating me unfairly."

"I can't say I'm sad she did it. Because if she hadn't, you wouldn't be working for me."

"I guess you're right."

"I am." Eric smiles. "So what do you want to do now?"

"Umm, actually I'm gonna go up to the observation deck."

"The top floor?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll come with you."

"No!" I exclaim, pressing a hand to his solid abs.

"No?" Eric frowns. "Tam, you don't know where places are at in this building. You could get lost."

"Eric," I smile, softly. "I'm not going to get lost. Besides, if I'm going to work for you, I need to know these floors."

"You've got a point there."

"Exactly. So, I'm going up to the top to come down and see the details of each floor."

"Why don't you just go to the lobby and look at the blueprint on the wall?"

"Because I-I like being difficult." I sigh loudly and Eric agrees.

"Well, okay, you can go do that." He sighs. "While you're gone, I'm going to make a few calls and get your keys made. When you get back we can go have dinner."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

Eric pulls me into a hug then kisses my cheek. "Tam, I can't thank you enough for helping me out."

"You're becoming more help to me than I am to you, Eric."

"You're more of a help to me than anyone could be, Tam."

I look away from the underlying meaning in Eric's eyes as I pull from his embrace. "I'm gonna go tour the building. I'll be back soon."

"Have fun." Eric waves as I jog to the elevator.

"I'll try." I wave back as the elevator doors open behind me.

Eric smiles, watching me, until the elevator doors close.

"Hi." I smile at the two security guys as I step out of the elevator on the ninety-ninth floor. "I'm Tamera Stewart is Mr. Jackson here?"

"No, ma'am, he is not." The tallest security guy smiles, politely. "Actually, he hasn't been up here in a while."