The Boss..18..

"Daddy?" I ask, frowning, because I'm surprised he's standing in front of me.

Malcolm smiles more and I just blink. It's moments like this that make me wonder if Taylor will age as handsomely as our father has. Age is usually cruel to white people, but my father seems to coast by that stereotype.

"Yeah, bunny," Malcolm chuckles as his eyes crinkle in their signature way. "it's me. Your father? Malcolm. Remember me?"

"Y-Yeah, but what are you doing here?" I stutter as I stand from my seat before walking around to him. "What are you doing here, Daddy?"

"I came to see how Eric was doing and liking his new digs." He divulges as his eyes regard my outfit. "Now what are you doing here? Stealing candy like you used to when you would come to work with me? I have some out in my car if you're really doing that."

"Actually, I brought my own candy, Daddy," I roll my eyes and he smiles as he reaches into his pockets. "because I work here."

Malcolm's eyebrows shoot up, confused. "You what?"

"I work here, Daddy." I repeat as he looks around the reception area. "You know like work work?"

"Eric hired you?"

"How else would I have gotten the job?" I frown and Malcolm sighs before looking around again.

"Bunny, do you know who owns this building?"

"Michael Jackson, why?"

Malcolm's frown disappears as he shakes his head. "Nothing, bunny. How are you enjoying your new job? What do you do?"

"I'm Eric's assistant slash secretary, so I answer phones, make appointments, and assist Eric."

"Are you enjoying it?"

"I'm enjoying it fine, Daddy."

"Eric's not being a tyrant is he?"

"To the daughter of the man I most admire?" Eric begins as he walks from his office and Malcolm turns around, smiling. "I would never. How are you doing, Mac?"

I smile as Malcolm and Eric shake hands.

"I'm great, Mr. Southern," Malcolm smiles, proudly. "I see you've done alright for yourself. This place is nice. It looks great."

"Thank you, sir." Eric smiles at his surroundings. "This office space is so perfect I'm thinking about bypassing building myself."

"Having your own is always better than leasing, Eric." Malcolm points as the phone on my desk starts ringing.

Malcolm and Eric continue their conversation as I reach over the counter to answer the phone.

"Hello, Southern Contracting?"

"Tammy!" Andrew smiles. "Hey, girl, hey!"

"Andy!" I smile back. "Hey, boy, hey!"

"Daaaling, are you ready to go get that lunch? I know this great Chinese place up the street. We don't even have to drive."

"That sounds great, Andy. Just let me tell my boss and I'll text you when I'm ready."

"I'll be waiting, Miss Beauty."

"Alright, Mr. Handsome."

"Mr. Handsome?" Andrew plays with the words, and I can feel his smile. "I like that. Now hurry your sexy ass up. I'm hungry, withering away."

"Yes, sir!" I laugh then hang up the phone.

**

"Your secretary was on the phone so I just walked on by. Hope you don't mind." Jermaine smiles as he walks into Michael's office. "How are you doing?"

"You're my brother, Jermaine, you're welcome here any time." Michael mumbles, staring down at his phone's iMessages. "And I'm fine. How are you?"

"Hungry, and I bet Miss Stewart is too. Think you could have her for lunch?"

Michael looks up from his phone, frowning. "I'm already breaking one woman down, Jermaine, do I really have to do another one, and within the same hour?"

"Oh, who's the other woman?" Jermaine smiles, walking closer to Michael.

"My assistant--" Michael mumbles, leaning against the edge of his desk. "the woman I had to hire when Mika fucked up my chance at hiring Tamera."

"Ooo, what's this new assistant's name?" Jermaine asks, intrigued, taking a seat before Michael's desk.

"Britta."

"Britta. Hmm, if you're done with her, Mike, I'll finish your breaking so you can start on Tamera."

"I don't want to break either." Michael grunts, flailing his hands. "Jermaine, do you not get how childish all of this is? All of what I'm doing is way out of my character and I'm getting tired of it. I've never been this way and it's starting to get on my fucking nerves."

"Mike," Jermaine laughs. "baby brother, I love you, but you need to stop being such a pussy. Every woman isn't deserving of your courtesy. Believe me."

"As women, Jermaine," Michael stares, solemnly, at his older brother. "yes, each and every one of them are deserving of a man's courtesy, sympathy, respect, and decorum."

Jermaine's nostrils flare as he glares at Michael, and the next moment, he stands from his chair to look around the vast office.

"You know what, brother, I think I could do some major redecorating in here. You know... when I take back my position from you."

"Jermaine," Michael scoffs, annoyed. "it's not my fault you couldn't separate your personal life from your business life."

"Two simple maneuvers could get me back in the position that is rightfully mine, Michael." Jermaine grits, stepping into Michael's face. "I found the talent on your roster, yet you've gotten the accolades for it. How would the world take the news of their precious Michael Jackson's fall from grace?"

"Jermaine, you found one--"

"I found them all!" Michael rolls his eyes and looks away from Jermaine's trembling face. "We all know who has the true talent in the Jackson family, and it is NOT Michael Jackson." Both of Michael's eyes widen as Jermaine takes a step back from him. "Now you will finish what I asked you to do or else the world will know the truth." Jermaine reaches around Michael and grabs a personalized pen from a monogrammed cup on his desk. "You can never have too many pens." He winks. "Goodbye, baby brother. I hope you'll devour your lunch."

Michael squints his eyes, glaring, at Jermaine's back as he walks out of his office.