The Boss..4..

"This is yours, isn't it, Miss Stewart?" Mr. Jackson smiles wider and it's when I realize I haven't reached for my briefcase yet.

"Oh, umm, yes. Yes, sir." I nod, taking my briefcase from his grasp. "It is mine."

"I thought so."

"Thanks," I lick my lips and look away from his intense eyes. "but you didn't have to bring it to me. I was on my way to retrieve it myself. I'm sorry if I've inconvenienced you."

"It wasn't a problem, Miss Stewart." Mr. Jackson assures with a lick of his attractive lips. "I was actually on my way home. I wanted to drop it by."

"Oh, well, thank you again, sir." I smile then sigh when I feel my overbearing mother behind me. "I appreciate it."

Mr. Jackson chuckles. "You're welcome."

My mother is practically pressed against my back.

I give Mr. Jackson an apologetic smile as Caroline clears her throat and walks around me to get to him.

Here we go.

"Hello," Caroline smiles, stretching out her hand to greet Mr. Jackson. "I'm Caroline Stewart. I'm Tamera's mother and, you are?"

"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Stewart. I'm Michael Jackson." Mr. Jackson smiles as they shake hands.

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Jackson."

"Thanks, and if you don't mind me saying, your daughter looks a lot like you." Michael compliments and my mother eats it up.

Oh, jeez. I roll my eyes. That'll set her sails.

"I don't mind you saying at all. I had her when I was seventeen, you know?" Caroline semi-brags and I frown at her. "How old are you?"

"Mama." I whisper.

"It's a simple question, darling." Caroline smiles at me while still holding Mr. Jackson's hand. "I'm sure I'm not being too intrusive, am I?"

"No, ma'am." Mr. Jackson smiles. "I'm twenty-nine."

"Twenty-nine? And you own your own music company?"

"Yes, ma'am. Also, the building I work from is mine too." He flexes and I cock a brow at him. "Jackson Towers."

"Impressive. How did you come about that?" Caroline asks, nosily, as she pulls Mr. Jackson into the house past me.

"Oh God." I mumble as she walks him to the couch and sits him down.

"I worked very hard to get where I am, Mrs. Stewart. And I'm proud to say I did it on my own. From the bottom to the top."

"As I've said, that's very impressive, Mr. Jackson. A man like you is hard to come by."

If this isn't embarrassing, I don't know what it is.

"My ex-husband, Malcolm," Caroline goes on and I slap my forehead. She's about to go off on a tangent. I need to stop this. "was in music publishing. That is until he had an "epiphany" and went into contracting. I told him there was more money in music, but he wanted to "follow his dream". I think it was because he couldn't handle the power. Can you handle the power, Mr. Jackson?"

"Maaammaaa." I drawl, still holding the door ajar.

"Oh, hush, Tamera," She slaps a hand at the air in my direction. "don't you see me and Mr. Jackson having a conversation?"

"Mama, I'm sure Mr. Jackson has places to be. He doesn't want to be here."

I give my mother a pointed look and she returns it.