The Boss..5..

The next morning, I pound my fist on my alarm, for the fifth time, as it blares loudly next to my ear.

"Tamera!" Caroline yells as she pounds on my bedroom door. "Tamera! Tamera Giselle Stewart!"

I groan, pulling the covers off my head. "What?"

"You're late! Don't you remember you have that trial run with Mr. Jackson today? GET UP!"

I rub the sleep from my eyes as I amble over to my room door.

"Tamera!" Caroline pounds the door, yelling louder.

I open the door just as she's about to pound it again and sigh. "What, Mama?"

Caroline frowns, taking in my wardrobe of pink and black pajamas. "Darling, why are you still in your pjs?"

"Because I was asleep, Mama." I mutter, rubbing my eyes.

"Tamera, are you losing it?" She frowns more. "You're supposed to be doing the second part of your interview today. You've gotta get going or you're going to be late."

I blow air from my mouth and mutter. "I'm not going to be late."

"You're not dressed and it's almost ten o'clock. You're going to be late, Tamera."

"I'm not going to be late, Mother, because I didn't get the job." I mumble as she brushes my messy brown hair back.

"What?" She frowns again. "You didn't get the job? How do you know?"

I sigh heavily before rubbing my nose. "Mr. Jackson's secretary called me last night. She told me he went with another applicant for the job. I won't be working for him."

"Awww, darling, I'm so sorry." Caroline coos, rubbing my cheeks. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I mutter, moving her hands from my face. "I'm not tripping over that job, Mama. Jobs come and go. Just like men."

"Well, I'm still sorry." She rubs the top of my shoulder and smiles softly. "You'll get the next one for sure. Although, I can't believe you didn't get this one."

"Why do you say that?" I ask, mid yawn.

"The way Mr. Jackson was looking at you last night, Tamera? He wanted you in some way. Maybe he didn't hire you as his assistant because he wants you in a better position."

I scratch at my scalp, yawning wider. "I'm not in the business of interviewing for a position as a man's woman, Mama. I'm not free sex on a platter."

"You're not. However, maybe that's what he was doing. I think he enjoyed the interview with you, but he also knew it would be some sort of conflict of interest if he pursued you. Hell, and that's not so bad, Tamera. He's bae. So if he does want you, let him have you."

"Goodbye, Mama!" I scoff as I close the door on her.

"Tam!" She chuckles.

"I'm going back to bed." I yell at my door as I walk away from it.

"I'm sorry you didn't get the job, darling."

"You and me both." I mope as I climb back into my bed.

As I'm pulling my covers over my head, my iPhone starts ringing.

"Seriously?" I look over at it, frowning. "Didn't I put you on silent last night?"

My ringtone playing, and loudly, tells me I hadn't.

"Ughhhhh!" I growl as I roll over and grab it without looking at the caller ID. "Hello?"