The Boss..20..

"Excuse me." Malcolm says, politely, after bumping into a gentleman walking into the elevator he was leaving. "Pardon me, mate."

As Malcolm walks past the man, the man side steps, avoiding the elevator traffic, and says, "Mac? Malcolm Stewart?"

Malcolm turns on his heels, pulling his phone away from his ear, as he looks at the man calling his name.

"Jermaine?" Malcolm asks, frowning, once he recognizes his smirking face. "Jermaine Jackson?"

"Yeah, it's me, Malcolm Stewart." Jermaine smirks more, strutting closer to Malcolm. "Happy to see me, huh?"

Malcolm scoffs before tucking his phone into his front pocket. "Not even slightly, mate."

"Bummer." Jermaine says, sarcastically saddened, as he stops in front of Malcolm. "Anyways, what are you doing here?"

"Is that your business?"

"Since this building is pretty much mine?" Jermaine gestures around him.  "I'd say the answer to that asinine question is yes. Why are you here, Malcolm?"

"I have my reasons," Malcolm narrows his eyes. "and none of them concern you, Jermaine."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. Now, if you'll excuse me--"

"How's Pen?" Jermaine blurts as Malcolm starts to turn away. "Is she still wishing for me?"

"I wouldn't know, mate." Malcolm chuckles, shrugging. "You see, she only sees me."

"A man old enough to be her father?" Jermaine chuckles.

"I was wondering why she calls me daddy." Malcolm shoots back and Jermaine's amusement dissolves. "It was nice seeing you and your bitterness again, Jermaine, but I have to get back to work." He smiles, turning to walk away. "Give my best to the family."

"Oh, I will," Jermaine raises his voice as Malcolm starts away. "and I'll make sure to give it to that beautiful daughter of yours too."

Malcolm stops in his tracks, frowning deeply, and when he turns around Jermaine is gone.

**

"What's wrong, Tammy?" Andrew asks, pulling from our hug.

"Nothing." I sniffle as the elevator descends  slowly. "You should go back to your desk before you get in trouble."

Andrew pounds his fist on the stop button then turns back to me. "Tamera, what did that sexy jack wad say to you? Did he hurt your feelings? What did he do to you?"

I wipe my nose, reaching for the start button, as I sigh. "Nothing, Andrew."

"Tamera whatever-your-middle-name-is Stewart," Andrew begins as he steps in front of my access to the button. "as your new best friend, and future roommate, you are obligated, by friend law, to tell me when something is wrong with you. So, as your friend, I can try my best to fix it." Andrew stomps his foot. "Now I demand you tell me what's wrong!"

Feeling overly emotional, and Oscar worthy, I sniffle as more tears fill my eyes.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I should not be in my feelings like this, but--I can't deny--I really was starting to like Michael.

His arrogance. His sly smile. His need to chase me.

Damn.

Why would he suddenly want to end things with me?

The chase was so fun.

"Please tell me, Tam." Andrew pleads, bringing me from my thoughts.

I sigh heavily before leaning against the glass wall behind me. "Okay." I sigh again, wiping at my eyes. "I'll tell you, but you have to keep this between us."