Chapter ten

Hunter's POV

I didn't see Erika for the rest of the day, so when I saw her sitting by herself in the back of the cafeteria, I didn't think.

I just slammed my tray down next to her with a huge stupid grin lighting up my face. Judging by the wild look in her eyes she isn't used to people sitting with her.

"What do you want Hunter?" My smile fades as quickly as it appeared. I release a giant sigh and sit down next to her.

"I thought we were past this Erika, I care about you." Her eyes narrow into slits and she snaps at me.

"Don't- Don't pretend you care. I'm not a fool Hunter, I see what your doing and you just need to stop.

I don't need this- I don't need someone pretending to actually give two shits about me just so they can hurt me in the end.

I've had Enough Hunter. Leave. Me. Alone." This girl- can't she see how I feel about her? It has to be super obvious if Drew noticed- he is oblivious to everything! And yet it's like she doesn't know I exist, except for the few times where she goes off on me then runs off.

"I'm not pretending Erika. Look, I know you have been hurt before and that you are afraid for the past to repeat, but I swear I will never ever hurt you-" Her face goes pale and I mentally curse myself.

'Damn it Hunter you had to bring that up!'

"God, Erika I'm sorry I didn't mean to bring that up." It's too late, my words have no effect, I can visibly see her pulling away from me again, and back into her protective shell.

"I knew it- I knew it! You're just like everyone else- get away from me! You're just like him." And she is running again, her legs moving miles a minute as she sprints away from me.

How could she say that?

Does she really believe I am like him?

I would never hurt her- surly she must realize this by now, right?

Apparently she has not, and next thing I know I am chasing after her. The wind whips through my hair and the rain pelts my face as I run after her calling her name.

That's when I hear it- soft sobbing in the distance. I run in the direction of the noise when I see a hunched shivering figure, leaning against a tree, hugging her legs to her body. She lifts a tear stained face to greet me and the pain in her expression is overwhelming.

I react immediately walking towards her in long strides and scooping her unto my lap where- after a moment of resistance, she presses her tearstained face into my chest, and her hands ball up the collar of my shirt as she releases her cries.

She is sobbing so hard her body starts convulsing, and I soothingly rub her back and stroke her hair trying to calm her down.

"Shhhhhhh, hey it's okay. It's all right, I've got you. Let it all out, it will be our little secret." I freeze realizing my mistake. Those are the same words I said to her that night... But if she noticed she doesn't say anything, she simply does what I said.

She lets out all her frustrations on me, and I hold her close murmuring words of comfort in her ear, and I tuck a stray piece of gold hair behind her ear.

After a while her sobs subside but she continues to sniffle and she stays wrapped in my arms, I'm not going to pretend I am not enjoying being in these close quarters with her, because that would be a lie. The truth is, sitting here, holding, her everything just feels so... Right.