Chapter fourteen

Hunter's POV

I never thought I'd be lying here with her in my arms, but here I am.

Erika is sound asleep, the first time I've ever seen her show any emotions.

She is completely open, and what I see makes me hurt.

She starts twitching and fidgeting in her sleep, mumbling

'Fat.

Ugly.

Stupid.

Undeserving.

Worthless.

Mistake.

Unloved.'

She unconsciously starts grabbing for her wrist- the left one, that she cuts on. I gently intercept her hand, holding it carefully in between my own.

I will not let her believe those dangerous lies.

I lean down in her ear and whisper the truth

"Amazing.

Valuable.

Brilliant.

Precious.

Beautiful.

Perfect." I pause wanting to make sure she is still sleeping and see that she is sound asleep. A peaceful smile works its way across her face as I whisper these words. I press my lips to her forehead and say the thing that has been on my mind for a while now.

"I love you."

In her sleep she snuggles closer into my side and rests her free hand (the one I am not holding) on my chest. I can feel my heart pounding at our close quarters and hope that in her sleepy state she won't remember this when she wakes up. She can't know how I feel, we can be only friends.

I refuse to hurt her, she has been hurt so many times and I will not let it happen again.

So I must ignore how I truly feel about the girl sleeping beside me.

But for now I will enjoy this moment, I will enjoy holding her in my arms for as long as it will last.

I wish I could make this moment never end.