Chapter thirteen

Erika's POV

I can feel myself slowly warming up to Hunter. A week ago he did something for me no one else ever had.

He came looking for me.

He cares, for some screwed up reason he cares.

The class bell rings and I am out of there as soon as I hear the first tone.

I am shoving my things in my locker when my phone starts vibrating.

I look at the caller I-D and my heart stops.

"Hello Mother,"

"Erika you know I am not proud of that. Anyway we your brother has another hockey game and I expect you to be there! People are starting to notice that you don't come to social events and it is reflecting badly on us.

People will start to think we are poor parents because of our unruly daughter. Now this is not optional Erika Grace Matthews you will attend!"

"Okay, bye." My voice is trembling and I hate how she makes me feel so damn weak.

I laugh lightly, it's ironic that I share the same name as my favorite book character Hazel Grace from the Fault in our stars. It's ironic because she is dying on the outside, and I am dying on the inside. She has many reasons and deserves to stay, I can't wait till I'm gone, the world will be such a better place without Erika Grace Matthews.

My eyes are closed when I am startled by an arm slamming against my locker above my head causing me to jump. Hunter.

His beautiful blue eyes are staring into my dead, dull, hazel eyes.

He is intently searching my face and

I quickly clear my face of of any emotions that might have surfaced.

"What do you want Hunter?" I ask tiredly. I don't mean to be rude, but last night was... Difficult.

Lets just say there is a reason my sleeves are longer than usual today.

"Let me take you home." He says suddenly.

"What?" I am dumbstruck, Why would he want to take me home?

"You heard me. Let me take you home, you're exhausted and look like you're about to fall over from sleep deprivation." He's not wrong, I had gotten no sleep- again.

On top of all my other issues I also had insomnia to deal with.

I can't even have peace in my sleep, which is like the epiphany to the suckiness of my life.

"I'm fine Hunter, really. Just a little tired."

"Bull." He snaps and my eye widen.

"Excuse me?"

He starts to swear under his breath.

"I said that's bull. You look like a walking zombie. I'm taking you home, and that is final." Oh hell no

"No."

"Erika-"

"No. Hunter you are not taking me home." Immediately I started to subconsciously build up my wall, the one that protects me from other people.

The one that I had foolishly let Hunter break down. I mentally laugh

'You'll never learn will you Erika?'

"No, Erika, I'm not letting you do this,"

"Do what?" I keep my voice monotone and void of any expression.