Three years, five months, five days, nineteen hours, fifty minutes before

When it started to darken, I decided I had been out enough and that I should go to dinner. I let Carrot take a break from carrying me all day; she knew the trail back to the barn just as well as I did. She was naturally faster than me, making it back to the barn before I did. I undid her saddle and let her out into the small pasture with Turnip and Spots.

The kitchen light was on and so was the porch light. At least they noticed I was gone all day, I acknowledged. After I stepped on the first creaky porch step, the back door flew open. “Shay! You’re home!” Theo practically yelled into my face. 

It was impossible for me to stay mad at my childish older brother. “Yeah, I am. Where’s the cake?” I yelled just as loud. Mom and Dad must have heard us yelling, because they stood in the doorframe just behind Theo.

“What’s all the commotion?” Mom worried. She worried about everything, and she called me a worrier. I must have gotten that trait from her. Dad lovingly patted Mom’s hand. I liked seeing my parents show signs of emotion towards each other. “Oh, Shay, you’re home!” Dad chucked behind Mom. After Mom glared at him, she rushed back into the kitchen, banging pots around.

I smiled a little. Mom always did that on our birthdays. Act like we weren’t there and then notice us and make a big deal in the kitchen when she already had it all decorated and ready. It was a little babyish, but I still liked that she put the effort into making us feel special on our birthdays. “Okay! Come in! I’m sorry I forgot, I just rushed this together.” Mom called from the kitchen. Dad and Theo grinned as they let me go in before them.

When I walked into the kitchen, I was truly speechless. Mom had outdone herself for it. A giant green frosting covered cake took up much of our kitchen table, leaving little room for plates. Mom had made my favorite drink, apple-grape juice, and left the pitcher on the counter. She also prepared my favorite dinner, baked macaroni and cheese. Mom had truly outdone herself, trying everything she could do to make me feel special. Mom was always good in that way, she could make anyone feel special just by the way she would talk to them. Theo whistled behind me. “Nice job, Mom.”

Mom waved Dad and Theo towards her. They ran over to where she was standing, “Happy thirteenth birthday, Shay!” I smiled as they ran over to me engulfing me into a family hug. I think Mom outdid herself on the birthday party because Theo took over her attention in the morning and she felt bad. But to say the least, it was a great party once again done by my mother that I’ll never forget.

*Author's Note*    

I know this part isn't long, I will edit it and make it longer someday. I promise. Comments are loved <3