Two years, twelve months, three weeks, one day, fourteen hours before

Dad called a family meeting as soon as Theo, James, and I walked in the front door after school. I thought Dad was going to tell James to go home, but all he did was nod. I found that odd considering he hated when I hung out with boys afterschool. Mom was already waiting in the family room for us.

            I sat on one of the open seats on the larger couch, and James took the seat next to me. My hand was resting on the couch cushion in between me and James.  He reached for my hand and gave it a squeeze. I didn't pull away from James's grasp; it felt like whatever Dad was about to tell everyone was important and I needed that small bit of assurance James holding my hand gave me.

            Once Theo came back into the family room, Dad cleared his throat and started talking. Dad didn't dance on the topic; he cut straight to the point. "Theo's going with James when he leaves to see if his soul mate is in another city. If he can't find his soul mate in James's city, he's going to go to Aunt May and see if he can find his soul mate there. If he doesn't find her within two weeks, he's coming home."

            I looked over at Mom and she was crying silently. Theo was sitting on the edge of his seat, looking at his shoes. Dad walked over to where Mom was sitting and put his hand on her shoulder. I realized why Dad let James stay, and why James was being extra nice to me; he knew that Theo was leaving and that I was going to need someone.

            "You're crying." James whispered. I looked up at him and gave his hand another squeeze. He squeezed it three times, just like when we were younger and I needed an extra boost of confidence or if I was scared walking around after the sun set as we played around in my backyard as our parents talked. I felt another tear run down my face.

            "How long did you know?" Mom was sobbing now, and grabbing onto Theo like she wouldn't let go of him even if her life depended on it. Dad had left the room, leaving us alone.

            "Shay, I'm sorry. I would have told you, but your parents asked me not to tell you. They wanted to do it as a family." James and I were still holding hands, and even though I was mad at him for not telling me, I didn't want to let go.

            Theo, Mom, and Dad had left James and me alone in the family room. "Some family this is!" I shouted. I stormed out of the family room, through the kitchen, and out the back door.

            Acting like I was mad at everyone felt like my only defense. If I broke down crying, they would see me as a child, and if I held my emotions in, I would seem rude and that I couldn't care less what happened to Theo. All I wanted to do was cry and let everything out. I couldn't believe Theo was actually leaving. I knew he always talked about it, but I never thought he actually would go to one of the other cities to look for his soul mate.

            I didn't bother walking over to the barn; it was too obvious that I would go there. I slid down the side of the house instead and sat down. James came rushing out of the back door, narrowly missing hitting my head, yelling for me. When he realized that I wasn't out by the barn, he turned around and saw me sitting on the floor. James came back over to me, shaking his head the whole way. He sat down and wrapped his arms around me.

            "I should have of told you. I knew you would be upset." I started crying onto James's shoulder as he started to rub my back in small circles. He found my hand and held onto it, squeezing it three times like always. "I don't have my bracelet yet, remember?" he said, hold up his wrist to show me. "My birthday isn't for another two weeks, remember?" I nodded, "Good. Did you ever think we're each other's soul mates?" I shook my head; I always thought of James as another brother. "It's possible, you know." I nodded into his shoulder and let another stream of tears out.