Three years, two months, five days, one hour, thirty minutes before

Caleb and I were in the room talking for what felt like forever and about every little thing we could come up with. He was a good listener, or just good at acting like he was listening. He kept asking me things about myself; everything from weather I liked being the youngest to what my favorite color was. The one question that he kept asking me was what I thought about the bracelets. I told him that I said something about them before, but he kept asking me what I thought of them. The bracelets themselves didn’t bother me, but their idea bothered me. I decided to be honest with Caleb; he was being honest with me, so I knew I should be honest with him.

“I don’t mind the bracelets themselves, but their idea bothers me. The idea of having to fall in love with someone you might not be, didn’t seem right.” I said, twirling my hair around my finger.

I rolled over as much as I could on the chair to face Caleb. He really looked at me, not saying anything, just looking at my face. “You, Shay, are not thirteen. You seem more opinionated than a thirteen year old girl who just got her bracelet.” He continued after taking his jacket off. “Thirteen year olds are supposed to love the bracelets; everyone is supposed to love the bracelets and everything about them. But here we are, a thirteen and a fifteen year old, who doesn’t like the bracelets idea. We were meant to be.” Caleb looked over at me, and it took nothing for us to burst out laughing. “Ah, yes, Mrs. Shailene Dawson, how does that sound?” Caleb continued.

“Not as good as Mr. Caleb Mitchell. Wait never mind, that’s sounds horrible out loud.” I grinned at Caleb.

He grinned back at me, “Not much of a crazy afternoon, but…”

I cut Caleb off, “But it’s still one of the best afternoon’s I’ve ever had.” I smiled over at him. “Hey, what time is it?”

Caleb turned over on his side, not doing a good job because of how small the couch was. He went to wrap his arm around me, but went towards my stomach instead. I couldn’t say anything before he started to tickle me. I’m a very ticklish person, and I flinched at the slightest touch to my stomach. “It doesn’t matter what time it is. It’s still light out, we’ve got time.” He said.

“You won’t have any of my time if you don’t stop tickling me!” I yelled in between laughing.

He laughed with me, “Fine, just don’t stop laughing. It’s making this afternoon better.”

I smiled, “This afternoon has been better for me since I ran into you.” Caleb didn’t smile back, I hoped I didn’t do anything wrong. “Caleb, did I say something? If I did, I didn’t mean to.” He didn’t say or do anything. I decided to leave. Caleb gave me the best time he could of that afternoon, but I had just made it awkward. “I’m just gonna go now.” I whispered.

“I’ll walk you home, Shay.” Caleb whispered back. He took my hand, pulling me up from the chair.

I smiled at him. “Thanks.” Caleb was nice, for a freshman and for being one of Theo’s friends. But I just couldn’t believe that was the first time I talked to him since he became friends with Theo in the sixth grade. He came to the house sometimes, but I found a way not to talk to him. I was too shy around him, until I actually talked to and became his friend.

*Author's Note*

I know this chappie isn't super long, but its better than nothing because I have to write some more before I update again. Comments and votes are loved <3 thank you