10

Youngjae POV
We all clamber into the car in silence, a solemn look still plastered on Marks face. There's one thing I just couldn't get out of my mind.

The last words Jinyoung said to me...

"T-his is what I w-was protecting you from...."
I can shake the thought of his scared voice and bloody face out of my head. The constant regret is overwhelming, I should have just listened to him...

"Mark?" I call.
"What is it Youngjae?"
"What did Jinyoung mean when he said that was what he was protecting me from?"

Marks face was overcome with pure fear.

"It's a long story..."
"I've got time."

Mark sighs, giving in.
"It started back in University, when we were all dorm mates...Travis wanted to...well...hurt you...badly. He found out you were gay and he was pissed since he considered you a friend at some point...Jinyoung found out about this and stopped him...but Travis still wanted to hurt someone so he made a d-deal with Jinyoung..." He takes a deep breath.

"Mark I-"
"There's more. The deal was that Jinyoung would take all the abuse and shit in order to keep you safe...for months Jinyoung was beaten almost everyday, exploited in ways he never should have been, they made him take drugs and steal things, break into homes. Throughout this all I had been dating Jinyoung in secret, but at some point you fell in love with him and asked him out on a date and Jinyoung didn't have the guts to say no. He's weak Youngjae, the abuse got to him...badly. One night I received a call at around 2:00am from him, he told me he couldn't take it anymore. I managed to track his phone and I found him stood on the edge of a bridge, crying his heart out. That's when he asked me to make him stay, so I promised I would...now look where that got him...."

I hear sniffles from beside me, from Jaebum. Tears streaming down his face. He hadn't started the car yet, instead he's grasping the steering wheel tightly, his head resting against it.

"I'm so fucking stupid..." he sobs.
"Jaebum what do you mean?"
"Youngjae, w-when I went to get your uniform I got mad at Jinyoung and threw him on the floor. He looked so fucking scared, now I know why... I had no idea he'd been through that if I did I would never have laid a finger on him..."

Mark shuffles forward in his seat and places a hand on Jaebums hunched shoulder.
"Hey," he says softly, "it's okay, you didn't know..."

Jaebum just sobs harder, I can't take it anymore. I wrap my arms tightly around his body, pulling him close. His head nuzzles into my shoulder and his hands grip my shirt as he continues to bawl his eyes out.

I run circles on his back in a comforting manner and bring my head close to his ear.
"Jaebummie, it's okay I'm here for you." I whisper.

He moves away from my body and looks deep into my eyes. His cheeks are tear stained and red, his eyes bloodshot. The whole scenes breaks my heart so I move closer.

And .....

I kiss him gently on the lips. I feel him softly kiss back, it's as tender and heartfelt as his gaze is.