Chapter 19 - The 'sorry'

I am awakened by a few blood thirsty mosquitoes the next morning. There's that 'Good morning' for me again. I swatted them away, and roll over so the palms of my hands were laid flat on the floor. There I slowly push myself up to a sitting position, and stretched. My knuckles accidentally bump onto something behind me lightly, and I yelped. I almost forgot there was a wall behind me. I rub my eyes a bit, to get rid of some dirt and dust found around my eyelids.  

As I look at my surroundings, slowly I re-collect where I was, and what happened. I look up, and see day light pouring through some of the beams and pillars above me. To my wall-less left, a wide field of view of the terrains outside welcomes me. Where I last saw Remember heading towards. 

That reminded me of something - did Remember return?  

I immediately fold and tuck my sleeping bag away. I rinsed my mouth out with a bit of water, ruffled my shirt and got my bag ready. Once these tasks were completed, I was now headed towards the stairs with a good kick start to my energy. Half of me was anticipating to see Remember, him standing there by the entrance once I hit the ground floor.  

However, the second I reach the bottom floor I am welcomed by a surprise horde of flies and other scavengers. They were currently feasting on the dead body that Remember has killed the other day-that is until I showed up. I gasped, and wave them away quickly. The crows squawked and screeched at me, before continuing their feast. Once I was at a safer distance, did I turn back. I stare at the half eaten body, which was now swarming with flies laying eggs and crows. Maggots could be seen crawling beneath all that flesh and skin if I looked hard enough. 

Strange. I then recalled back in the truck me and Remember were in, how I was constantly being attacked by a few mosquitos. he in the other hand, was not. Maybe mosquitos didn't sense any source of blood from the infected.  

My mind retraces back even further. I shouldn't even be calling them 'the dead or 'living dead' in the first place. I sighed. 

That's when a pale, clawed hand reaches out from the side and takes my shoulder. I release a scream, and turn instantly, only to see someone I'm already expected to meet; Remember. 

"R-Remember!" I gawked, feeling a bit embarrassed of what I did just now. I shouldn't be surprise to see him, let alone by startled by this old habit of his. He was always the one to give a quiet almost unseen 'Hello'.  

He only takes one good look at me, and turns away. The reminder of what happened yesterday was still fresh in his mind. And now it was my turn to remember it as well.  

"H-Hey, Remember." I hesitated. "About yesterday..." 

My hand lowers, gripping tightly along the bottom edges of my blouse. I had to say it. 

"I'm sorry."    

He doesn't respond. At first glance, it seemed as though he didn't hear me so I repeat it. "Remember, I'm sorry." 

Still, not a word comes out from him. I could've sworn I spoken more loudly this time, yet- 

"What do you mean?" He asked, turning back to face me with dumbfounded eyes. "What is 'sorry'?" 

Now I know for sure he heard it, but just didn't...know what it mean? 

How was I to explain this? 

"Umm....i-it means that I feel sad, and regretful for what I did." I answered. "And I want to ask for you to forgive me." 

"Oh, and 'forgive' means to accept what I did wrong." I also point out, to avoid making any more confused and lost as he is now. "And let us move on."