Chapter 33 - A whole new escape

The next thing you know, we were back, in travel. In every step we took, my hopes were increasing as well. We were almost there. Almost!

But suddenly, the hope becomes erased the moment we hear a loud clang from the distance. Immediately we all come to a freeze. Matt raises a finger to his lips.

"Heh, I should be telling you that," Rae jokes, but even her voice has an unease in her tone.

Remember continues on in front, and abruptly he comes to a freeze as well. And although his back was faced to us, I instantly knew something was up. Literally.

His whole body seemed to tens a bit, as if he was sensing something, something coming. Immediately his head shoots up, and turns towards the right. I too, do the same, though seeing nothing.

Soon we all begin to hear something. It started out as quiet, yet easily becoming more noticeable and noticeable as it got closer. I paused to hear clearer. It was a choppy sort of sound; Like the sound of wings, helicopter wings?

Eye still drawn towards the direction of the noise, Remember then searches for higher ground. Jumping onto a vertical truck, his eyes squints to see clearer.

I then felt my stomach flip with worry. Even though we couldn't identify where or who it was, I had a bad feeling about it. As if we stayed here, then we'd sure get caught.

It couldn't be uncle himself, since he isn't aware that I'm coming. Obviously can't be a ghoul or zombie either (since I bet they don't even know how to function one). So who was it?

I turned to Remember.

Still focused on the noise, it took him a minute to realize who it was.

Eyes wide, he abruptly turns to us screaming, "RUN-"

Two bullets then go flying by him. He flashes a look of annoyance towards the direction of the spotted bullets just as more continue aiming at him. This time, he hops off the vehicle just before a whole rocket goes flying at him, missing him in inches.

As the truck explodes with a loud Boom, we all quickly duck down, just as hundreds of pieces of trash goes flying everywhere, along with the sand's dust.

I coughed and gagged somewhat, feeling the pieces enter my mouth. What was going on?

Attempting to stand up once more, that's when another erosion is triggered, where Remember was positioned. Fortunately, he manages to dodge that as well. And I was forced back onto the floors, all hands and knees.

"Remember-!" I cried, but was stopped short by Matt's firm grasp.

"Run!" Matt growls, as he began pulling me away from the scenery, and away from Remember and the numerous missiles which is being fired at him. Rae was waiting for us, near a flipped over bus.

"This way!" She calls aloud, guiding us through a narrow escape route, in between the towers of junk. Behind us, we hear more gun fires and launched rockets.

But gradually, the gun fires grew closer. Another loud gunshot is fired behind us. As we turned behind a truck, I screamed as two bullets go smashing into the vehicles glass, inches away and behind me. Another few bullets follow as well, also coming from the direction of the helicopter noise.

I turned, still running under Matt's grip but saw nothing. We then reeled to a corner path, just as another pair of bullets goes shooting after us, knocking down a few furniture's behind us. That was close, too close.

"Crap." Matt swore, noticing how close they were now. Quickly he pulls me under vehicle alongside Rae. She too, was just as worried as Matt.

As we hid undercover, I had to ask, "W-who are they?"