Chapter 34 - Not leaving you behind

As we walked quickly out of sight, Rae then asks, "Is your neck doing fine?"

"Y-yes." I replied, even though it wasn't. It burned like hell right now, aching with every step we took. However, I wasn't concerned of that. Deep in my mind, I was thinking about them; Matt and Remember. The intense military fight that is still going on, just almost half a kilometer away from us.More gunfire's, explosions and screams from the dying echoes behind us. It truly was like a battlefield.

And we were running away from it- Especially me.

I was only 12. Why did I have to be so young, hopeless, and most of all: Useless.

All I could do before I left was watch and say a sad goodbye to Matt and Remember. And I've left them to fight off Professor Grant's group, even though they've probably ambushed us for one reason: Me. That's when I realized how guilty I was. Here I was, running away from a fight that was indirectly supposed to be targeted at me.

That's when another thought hit me; Not only that, but I didn't even say goodbye to Remember.

Soon, my paranoia was getting the better of me. What if he was in trouble? What if they're in trouble right at this very moment? What if they've lost? Or worse: What if they've died?

And it'd be my entire fault.

With that last thought in mind,I wheeled around, running back to where the action was. Back to help Remember and Matt.

Rae immediately notices what I was doing and turns too.

"HEY!" She yells, running to catch up. "You're going the wrong way!"

But I ignored her. Right now, my mind was focused on the task ahead. There was no way I was going to pussy out from a fight.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A few minutes later, I then decided to continue on but undercover. From this point on, I was nearing the battlegrounds. A havoc of scrap and rubble littered the landscape. worn bicycle tires, broken glass, trashed beds, yellowed newspaper, all scattered amid of a pile of more junk, bricks and slabs of cement. Finding some rusted sofas nearby, I quickly ducked in one of them, and began to crawl my way through.

"Rima!" An angry voice whispers aloud from my back. "What on earth do you think you're doing?! You're going to get cau-"

A loud explosion beside us makes her stop. Dust floated around us, but I ignored it. A few minutes later, I found a car with cracked windows close by, and decided to hide there instead. And from this point on, I was watching the whole show, from beginning to the end. A not so happy ending.

Matt was in a farther distance, hiding behind a large refrigerator which was on its side. He begins sniping some of the soldiers that was attacking Remember. But hardly any of them noticed, since they're only guess could be Remembers doing.

And among the soldiers himself, was Mr., Mr. Chantell leading the whole group of soldiers. He seemed relaxed, confident of winning over the lone zombie.

Disappointment rose within me. Why, Mr. Chantell....?

Almost none of them noticed Matt (or can even find him). So he was pretty much safe.

However, there where two people beyond the battlefield that I couldn't stop looking at; one was Matt, sniping few of the oblivious soldiers. The other--more of my focus was on Remember. The situation he was in was far more difficult to handle.

It was a full out battle now. There were 10 times the number of action then there was before. Tons to thousands of bullets and missiles were being thrown at him. Soldiers from all direction surrounded Remember (plus, the tank as well). Not only that, but it influenced Remembers movements and sense of direction too. With almost every step or move he made, surely it would trigger a mine or an explosive assuch. So far from when I started watching, 2 mines had been triggered by the zombie. Luckily though, he still lived.