Chapter 20 - This Way

Both our heads shoots up and we see Remember, the second he tore off the roof of the car. He tosses it aside, his eyes looking down to me, then to the other boy.

"Remember!" I gasped. But before I could continue any further, I had to cover my face as dust and such pours off around the edges of the car top. I hear a snarl, one that Remember would make, and before you know it, another panel of the car is ripped off. I fall butt flat onto the leather seat again from the impact, as Remember tackles the other boy. He shoves him up against the other passenger door, and was strong enough to push the entire door panel off along with them.

The door breaks off, and they are sent sprawling down onto the soft muddy grounds. The boy wipes some dust off his face and tries to get up, but Remember beats him to it. A shadow hovers over him, and before he can react Remember tackles him again. He flashes his barred blood dried teeth, ready to bite.

And the last thing I see is Remember, launching his jaw upon the unfortunate boy. A few loud crunches, and gurgling sounds were the last noises I heard from them. A small streak of blood drips over, onto the side where the boy has his knife pocket, but that was it. He doesn't move. The fight was over.

My chest tightens, feeling condemned for the boy's misunderstanding. He was only trying to protect me. All that was left now was Remembers body, still hunched over the soldier.

It was all over for him... or not?

I glanced in closer, noticing how Remember was as well not moving. Low growling noises was coming from him. Once I approached the two, did I soon discover why.

The boy is alive.

There was no blood shed from the boy, but from Remember himself. In Remembers mouth, held a blade as long as a foot. it's sharp side is placed almost horizontally, pressing in between the space of his top and lower rows of teeth and slowly slicing into his lips. Any deeper, and it could've sliced his jaw right off.

As for the uniformed boy, his left hand is still gripped tightly on the handle of his melee weapon. He is taking quick breaths. Sweat is rolling down the side of his face, as well as that bitter look on his face. His arm is shaking still struggling to maintain his defense position.

There was the intense moment between the two. However, Remember then clenches the blade tightly within his teeth, and starts pulling back..

Immediately the boy releases the knife, and falls back completely. Remember in the other hand, also falls back from the released impact. But he is back on his feet again, hunched over in frustration. He spits out the knife along with some blood, and advances to the human boy again.

"Stop." I whimpered, shaken by the fight in front of me.

A reminisce of memories came back to me of the last encounters we had; fighting, blood, death. It was all coming back to me-it was all so familiar.

The familiar horrors I've seen in my past-and now.

"Stop it...." I tried to protest. They ignore me, only to continue.

Someone was going to die.

Some point during the fight, the boy lands right in the middle of an opening on the cold, dry pavement. A tower of 4 or 5 cars is stacked high before him - and standing on a red convertible, found on the bottom of the tower is Remember. One hand is pressed against a window, in the center of the tower. The most fragile and steady part of the hill of vehicles. He looks down at the boy, from where he is and back to the horde of cars. And before you know it, he pushes the towers down.

At last, a scream escapes my throat. "STOP IT!"

The cars makes hollow scraping sounds as it begins to tilt. The soldier realizes this before I did, and alarmingly turns his head to where the noise was. Before him, a group of vehicles fall off one another, and goes tumbling towards him.