Chapter 30 - Believe

Remember doesn't move an inch. And a few minutes later I realized what she meant.

Eyes wide, I wondered: Wait a minute, did she think-

In a flash, she lunges at Remember blade at the ready. Just as she she makes the first move, Remember sees this and reacts quickly. He shifts left, ducks and manages to evade all of her swings. It was as if he'd suspected that she was aiming at the head.

But once Rae makes an entirely new move; diving the whole sword straight at Remembers eyes, he ducks, dodging it by a mere millisecond. A flint of blood squirts from a small cut which started to form on the corner of his left cheek.

She withdraws her weapon, revealing a small blood stain on the black blade of her samurai.

Now he was mad.

NO!!! My mind screamed. I had to stop this. Matt knew it as well.

"Wait!" Matt alerts, but stops when he sees me act.

Not even knowing what I was doing, I was already diving in to stop the mini battle.

"Stop!" I cried, stepping in between Rae and Remember, despite the risk of getting my own body to becoming sliced meat.

Remember stops, and Rae was moved back by Matt's grip on her arm.

"Why?" She yelled, yanking her arm out of Matt's grip. "He's also an infected being, if you haven't noticed!"

"Y-yes but," I hesitated, "He's also my friend. And I don't want you to hurt him, please."

No reply. For a whole minute she just stands there, both shocked and flabbergasted. Even her expression was in a complete confusion.

"Friend?!" She croaks, having almost lost her balance. "Y-you're friends with a z-zombie?!"

My head nods. Her lips turn into a scowl, as she tucks away her weapon. She then faces to Matt, expecting him to give a reason for this. He only shrugs casually, as if it was no big deal, which makes her turn back to me.

I gulped, already panicked in how to respond. However, Rae doesn't say a single word. Instead, her eyes seemed focused, on the floor?

And for the next few minutes, she was left in deep thoughts.

Apart from what was happening right now (well, back behind the gates), Rae remained silent. Her eyes seemed to move from me to Remember, then back again. Well, at least her blade was tucked safely in its pocket (phew!).

She watches us one, hand covering half her face and the other on her hip, we remained perfectly still. Even Remember himself, with the personality he has, dared not to make a wrong move. Otherwise, another chaos might erupt.

As for me, thoughts of worry kept popping into my mind.

What if she doesn't approve of him? I still never forget what happened between Matt and Remember earlier.

What if she kills him instead? Tell him off? What if he had to leave again? No.....

I don't want him to leave! That thought screams in my head. I want him to stay! Besides, he was one of my first and only friends I had throughout our entire journey. Maybe even more than a friend....

A few minutes later, she then starts to interact again, her voice sounding more calm and relaxed this time.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." She waved, motioning a stop sign. "So you're telling me, that you're friends with a zombie-an infected being-a diseased creature and you're okay with it?"

"Umm..." I could only nod in response. The way she spoke made it hard to reply back, without going against her. Just remembering what happened to the last kill of hers made me shiver.