Chapter 22 - Scarred Heart Tearing soul

Later that day, me and Matt had to find shelter now, as the sun was starting to get low. We eventually find a ladder, one which leads dow to a less dense part of the building.

Now less dense didn't mean that it's pathway was free of flesh eating cannibals. Two or three of them were loitering around the small alley way, though it proved no real threat to Matt. A stab right between their eyes finished them off quickly.

Eventually we manage to exit the urban area, and we walked along a road to find a spot to stay. Matt suggests finding some barn or something.

I kept on walking, in silence. Soon, we come across a more inhabitable piece of land; a barn, consisting of two floors, connected by a lone ladder. Easily we climb up, pull the ladder up as well and it creates a temporary haven for us.

Here is where we rest for the day. However, once evening came, Matt finds a rusted lamp and decides to light it.

My eyes stared blankly towards the flickering light. I couldn't think of anything or anyone but Remember--My friend. How he had left us. He was gone now. Disappeared from the journey, erased from my life.

Though no tears were shed, no pain was felt--inside, I felt wretched. It wasn't Remembers fault he left, nor was it Matt's. if only I hadn't spoken our conversation out so loudly for him to eavesdrop-

No, Rima don't blame yourself. Under these circumstances, you knew what was coming. What's done is done. Whether it was for our safety, or saying sad goodbyes.

This is what I kept telling myself, over and over again. The only excuse I could make, and try to believe.

I then noticed that my hands were curled into fists, as it rests on my heart. My heartbeat seemed to grow louder and louder with every thought of him, of Remember.

Why did I feel so empty? It was as if something important to me was lost, along with my parents and cousin. Seeing mom and dad die has already left a scar within my heart. And now, it felt as if a new scar was formed.

I convinced Remember to leave, so that it would lessen the worries of this journey. But now, I was more worried then ever. Worried of Remember.

"Rima?" Matt waved.

"Huh?" I looked up and noticed him staring straight at me.

"You alright?" He asked. "You haven't eaten much, or said anything till now."

"U-uhh..." Quickly pulling out a bag of crackers and nibbling on them, I replied "I'm fine. Sorry to make you worry."

But even if I did make him worry, my anguish of losing Rmember, was more saddening--even more then the time I've witnessed seeing mom die. How long it had been since I've felt this sadness.

"I wonder how he's doing, right at this moment. I'm worried about him."

"Remember?" Matt asks.

For a second there, it took me a minute to realize what I've thought was actually said aloud. However, I was unable to deny Matt's guess. "Yes."

Gazing down into the yellow glow, even the heat of the light couldn't warm my lost,cold empty heart.

"W-when I first met Remember," I told him. "He was undoubtedly one of the most terrifying inhumane being I've ever seen. But apart from that, whenever I looked into his eyes..."

I found myself trembling a bit. "In his eyes...his eyes looked so sad, somehow."

"And before, when I was already cornered by him, ready to be slaughtered by him--instead, he decided to go for a bunch of armed men with weapons, instead of just one hopeless weak little girl: me. There was a reason why he chose to fight them, instead of me, Matt."