Chapter 26 - Guilt of the weak

Immediately I fell back, feeling a shiver run down my spine. Someone's hand was poking out of the bed. Worst: Someone them self, laid hidden beneath the bed. But who?

Under the rusty mattress was all dark. I couldn't see the rest of its identity.

"Rima?" Matt interrupts, "What's wr-"

His eyes too, were cast upon the pale fleshy hand. Quickly, he pulls out a firearm and aims it directly towards the figure under the bed, awaiting any movement that might come from it.

A few minutes passes. But the dead hand lay emotionless. It didn't move one single bit.

Matt then came to lower his rifle, and asked, "What happened before Rima?"

I blinked back to focus. "I was examining the bed, until I saw this. I-it...."

My voice trailed off, leaving Matt to know the rest. Still alert, he starts his approach towards the arm. However, the hand still remained lifeless, deceased as ever.

Once Matt was at a safe distance, he then bends down to examine the hand, usually moving back a few times in case of sudden attacks.

Just before anything could happen, Remember appears right beside Matt, grabbing the hinges of the bed frame and pushes it horizontally, sending the whole bed to go sliding sideways towards the other end of the room: Showing more than enough to reveal the concealed figure that hid underneath.

And thats when the smell of rot hits my nostrils. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was no zombie. It was a human, a dead body-or at least of what remains of it.

It was a man.

He was freakishly skinny with a deathly pale skin color. The clothes he wore were torn in many places, revealing tons of open flesh, bone and blood. The moment my eyes laid into his face, I saw no face; nothing, except a huge pool of blood and pieces of brains sticking out from the wide-open gap. And his jaw was torn right off, too. Maggots infested the open wounds, and I could see his skin moving, from the crawling larva underneath.

Sprawled on the floor, his hand seemed to reached out; out towards me.

At that moment, my heart began to race as I covered my mouth in shock. Instant flashbacks of my home returned: Mom lying there, on the kitchen floors expressionless as ever. Eaten alive by flesh hungry diseased, demons.

They did this. They killed my parents.

"This man's dead." Matt finishes, interrupting my nightmares. He was done examining and was now backing up, waving away the stench of the dead. "Probably died a few days ago. Lost too much blood and such. He was attacked by zombies as well, and could've resurrected. Though as you can see, his brains been blown straight outta that skull of his, so it's gonna be okay."

"Oh." I managed to say feeling my heartbeat return to normal. At least I now know what happened to the man. But still...

"We need to dispose it." Matt declared, having pulled back his sleeves. "Every dead body that is not exterminated can become a health hazard..."

In a split second Remembers figure appears over the corpse, back facing towards us. And even though I couldn't see his face, I already felt his hunger; Hunger for human flesh.

"Remember-" I stepped forward, but was stopped midway by Matt. Looking at him, he looks back at me, shaking his head.

'Let's dismiss it,' He expressed through gestures. 'Besides, at least it'll save us some work.'

Guilt swallowed me. That man didn't deserve to die like this. Killed by a zombie, and then having his whole corpse to be finished off by one?

I tried to protest, "B-but-"