Chapter 27 - The Chase

Remember and I was now walking back to the cabin.

But as we walked, Remember abruptly comes to a stop. I froze as well, out of curiosity though. "Remember...?"

That's when he turns to me and takes a step forward. In a low voice, he asks something that scares me a little. "Does death scare you?"

Huh?

"W-What do mean?" I asked back.

"The man back at the cabin,” Remember restated. "Did he scare you?"

"Of course." I answered fast. I don't want to be seeing that dead old, rotten corpse again. Now I understood somewhat of what he was trying to ask.

"Death does scare me. It scares everyone." I replied, feeling my hands clench. Did he have to be that curious?

Death. That word scared me to hell.

And at that moment, began to remember my dream. My nightmare, of mom and dad:

Mom's face soaked in blood, flesh and bones sticking out. Most of the blood was oozing out of her empty eye sockets. I was staring eye to empty black eye sockets with my dead mother.

And it got even worse. Suddenly, dad's whole head falls off his body and hits the ground. I quickly moved back watching it fall before me, as I gazed down at in horror.

His face was in the same state as moms. But with a huge gush of blood clogged up and slowly leaking out from his open neck.

"Why didn't you save us Rima? Why?"

"WHY????????????"

"Rima," A sudden voice interrupts.

Blinking back to focus, I then realized that I was daydreaming. And Remembers face was yet again inches away from mines (as usual).

I stumbled back a bit, but eventually found my balance back. He was still waiting for my response.

Unable to look back at him, I could only reply, "You don't scare me Remember. We're friends, remember?" 

And the beckoning silence once again returns. Then he asks, "But something's bothering you. Its making you look unhappy. Is something else scaring you?"

Yes, the day my mom and dad had died. And it will always leave a huge scar upon my worn out heart.

I couldn't tell Remember this though. He wouldn't be able to understand very well.

So instead, I answered with a simple "Yes."

Even though I didn't look at him, I could still sense him trying to see in my thoughts.

Still unable to tell him, I tried not to sound too drastic. "I'm fine, really. Just had a bad dream, t-that's all." And turned to him, smiling the best I could.

"Guess I'm sort of under the weather." I tried to joke. But even through my cheery disguise, I could still feel him piercing into my thoughts.

All at once, I too, had a question to ask him. "H-hey Remember?"

He stopped and turned. Though he says nothing, I could tell he was already awaiting for me to say it.

"U-umm...I was just wondering," I struggled to speak. How was I going to say this? My hands began to clench tightly around the edges of my shirt. Finally I then looked up at him.

"If I die one day....will you miss me?"

At first, his eyes were still laid staring at me, as a deadly silence came. But just when he's realized what I'd asked, his face then takes on a pained expression, though turning his gaze to the floor now. And for the next few minutes he had no reply. We plainly stood there in the open, trees, shrubs and many other plants surrounding us. As the quiet begin to grow, it made me feel worried, as Remember continued to remain unresponsive.

Unable to wait any longer, I then re-stated the question. "Remember-"

Suddenly, two cold naked arms wraps around my middle back, cozying me in a carousel of silence. Eyes wide, I realized that it was Remember. It was him cuddling me, ever so loosely, yet firmly. Even though his arms were bare cold and numb-I somehow felt a strange comfort of warmth from this hug.

Yet he still had no reply. I then feel his arms tighten slightly more just by hearing my say that.

"No." he says, still in the hugging position. "No I won't."

I then felt a stab of shock. "Y-you won't?"

He shakes his head. "No. Because, I won't let you."

A wave of relief rushes in. So he did care. But at the same time.....

Seeing over his shoulder, Remember then reminded, "I remember when you gave me this. Back when we were under the bridge."

Instant flask backs came back to me. Of what happened almost a week ago. When I almost died falling under the bridge. It was sure the end for me, or so I thought. But then he came and saved me. Remember saved me. He came back.

Before that, we almost had to say a sad goodbye. But I couldn't let that happen. I didn't want that. Remember didn't want that as well.

My face became flushed at thinking of what happened next. Afterwards, I was so happy I gave him a hug. A hug....

"A hug." I thought aloud. "That's what I gave you."

"Hug..." He repeated the word. "It sounds nice."

I agreed. "And it's what makes people happy. Giving and receiving a hug from your friend makes you happy."

"Especially if they're sad," He releases me, a faint smile on his face. "Do you feel happy now?"

I nodded, this time smiling for real. I no longer felt fear or pain anymore.

"Yes." I answered. "I feel much better now, thanks to you. Thank you, Remember."

"You done?" We both suddenly heard and turned.

It was Matt standing a few meters away from us, holding all his stuff and mines as well. And he looked as if he was out of breath.

"M-Matt," I gasped, running to him.

Exhausted, Matt tosses my bag and steps forward. I could smell the faint scent of gunpowder, which was coming from his gun.

"W-what happened?!"

"The zombies." he panted, "We have to get out of here-"But it was too late.

Suddenly out of the blues, a dark figure jumps behind him, claws reaching towards us. It was a zombie.

But just before it could attack, Matt reacts quickly. Even in a weak state, he manages to turn and points his gun at the diseased forehead just as he pulls the trigger. And just before the infected could react, a loud gunshot was heard and instantly it drops dead (fully dead this time).

"No time to explain," He rushed. "We gotta get the hell out of here. NOW."

And right after that, a whole eerie of moans and cries of the dead echoes behind him. My eyes looked over his shoulder, eyes wide in terror. They've come back.

__________________

Uh oh, this doesn't look good. What awaits them now (apart from the hungry flesh-eating infected humans)?

Votes/comments to find out~ ;)