New Girl

You sigh and set your bag down.

You look around your new apartment. It's empty, but just the right size for you. The walls are a faint white and there are large windows that let in just enough sunlight. The cost wasn't too bad either.

You enrolled at a school just recently, just in time for the new year. San Fransokyo Institution of Technology, or SFIT for short. You pick up the pamphlet you'd been reading over and over again, excitement bubbling under your skin. You knew you'd made the right choice, you loved technology. You were in robotics in high school, but this was the real deal. You'd be surrounded with people just like you, with the same interests.

You smile and close your eyes. You can almost see it now, your dreams coming true. Sure, you knew that this wasn't some Disney movie and all your dreams and wishes weren't going to happen immediately while people burst into song, but you were determined.

A knock at your door makes you jump.

You weren't expecting anyone so you cautiously make your way to the door.

It's the landlord.

"Hello!" she says a little too cheerfully. "You're our new guest I presume?"

You nod.

"Yes, I am."

"Great! I just wanna welcome you and tell you the rules!" she pulls a pen from behind her ear, barely moving her striking blonde hair that's tucked up in a bun so tight you'd think she'd be in pain.

"Rules?" You ask.

"Mmhmm! No pets, no loud parties, no loud music, always make sure this place is clean..."

You keep nodding as she keeps talking. You start to daze out a bit before hearing what she says next.

"I'm sorry, how much did you say?!" you ask, startled.

"I said five sixty a month, dear," she says with a smile.

You stand there frozen.

"Ma'am, the ad said three thirty" you say politely, despite your annoyance and anger.

She laughs.

"Oh yeah, that was an old ad, for a much smaller room." she looks at you, waiting for a response.

"You aren't gonna move out before you get settled in, are you?" she cocks her head.

Even if you wanted to, you can't. You need a place to stay and you didn't see many other options, and if there were, they weren't as nice.

"No, of course not," you say quietly, "I'll have it paid every month, don't worry."

You stand up straighter, hoping to show some confidence, and smile.

She grins and laughs.

"Oh of course you will, sweetie! I can see it on your face. Oh and if you need anything, my name's Holly, just ring me up anytime!"

"Thank you. I'm (y/n) by the way."

She smiles. Again.

"Oh what a lovely name! I have to go now, but I'll see you soon! Ta-ta!" She waves and practically bounces away.

You smile until she's gone and then close the door with a sigh.

I hope everyone I meet today isn't that perky, you think.

You start to walk over to the kitchen when you hear another knock.

You close your eyes, exasperated. You take in a deep breath and turn towards the door.

"Hello?" You say as you open it. You see a guy around your age, with dark brown hair that hangs slightly over his eyes. He takes a pull on his cigarette before speaking.

"Hey. I take it you're my new neighbor?" He says while letting out the smoke. You cough and wave a hand in front of your face. You remember hearing Holly mention no smoking, but you decide not to say anything.

"Yep, just got here too, about an hour ago," you say with a small smile. He just looks at you.

"Got it. So anyway, I just wanna let you know that I don't really wanna be bothered, okay? Don't come borrow sugar or whatever, and don't be loud." He takes another pull.

"Oooookay?" You say, narrowing your eyes and looking around.

"You seem confused, did I stutter?"

"Oh, uh, no. I understand just fine," you narrow your eyes more, in annoyance.

"Great. I'm gonna go now, I have stuff to do. I won't see you around." He takes a look around your apartment before turning around and walking away. You watch him leave, annoyed by his rudeness. You didn't even get his name. Was everyone in this building going to get on your nerves?