He's Just a Friend

You turn over in your "bed" for the third time. You're trying to sleep, but you just can't. Grief has caught up to you and you can't shake whatever you're feeling about Tadashi. He'd never felt human up until tonight. 

What even was that? You ask yourself.

You throw your blanket off in frustration. Tears spill out of your eyes and you bring your hands to your face in an attempt to stop it. You sit up and check the time, 1 a.m. Maybe Vince is still awake. Rubbing your eyes, you stand up and walk to the door. You groggily walk down the dark hall in your pajamas. Reaching his door, you knock. After a few seconds, it opens.

"Jesus Christ woman, what?" Vince says. His hair is a mess, and he's only wearing sweatpants.

"Oh, I, sorry," you quickly avert your eyes.

"It's fine, what do you need." He says flatly.

"Just, to talk."

"Uh, now's not really the best ti..." his voice trails off when he sees your tears. He groans and runs a hand down his face.

"Come in."

You walk in, closing the door behind you. 

"Take a seat on the couch, I'll be right back." He heads off to his room. A few seconds later, you hear voices, and you decide not to question it when he returns.

"Let me guess, it's about Nate?" He takes a seat in the chair across from you after turning on a floor lamp not too far from you.

You nod.

"You can't sleep can you?"

"No," you say quietly, "I can't focus on anything."

"What else?"

You hesitate before answering.

"Tadashi."

Vince leans forward, his green eyes glinting in the light.

"Oh?"

"He gives me weird vibes."

"Oh."

He sinks back in his chair.

"Have you never noticed the way he just stands around, or just, stares?"

"Yeah, a bit."

"He just, I dunno, creeps me out I guess."

"He is a weird dude, but he's nice. From what I've heard and seen."

"That's another thing. I talked to him tonight, before I left the school. He told me about his parents dying and him having to take care of Hiro as a baby and whatnot, and living with his aunt. He seemed different then, more vulnerable I guess."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, and he was trying to help but it didn't. I'm so sick of the sympathy and the..." you choke on your words as you start crying.

Vince stands up and moves to the couch with you.

"Shh, it's okay." 

You cry harder as he wraps an arm around you, rubbing your shoulder. He pulls you close to him. He smells like smoke and coffee, but it's not bad or unbearable. It's warm and inviting. You hear a door open and both of you turn around.

"What's going on?" Jake asks.

"Jake?" You ask.

"Nate's girl?"

"Yeah, it's (y/n)." You say. You aren't particularly fond of Jake.

"Oh, sorry." His voice and manner are completely different than they were when he was wasted at Vince's party.