Do You Know Something?

The rain hits your face and rolls off, as if it's crying for you. You have no energy to muster up any tears of your own. You and everyone around you stand in black, watching as Holly Greene is laid into the ground. Vince and Jake stand by your side, leaning on each other. Honey stands alone, her eyes glazed over. Tadashi is no where to be found, to your relief. 

"Holly was a very kind, happy, and colorful woman. May she rest peacefully and be kept always in our hearts," the pastor speaks his last line before sprinkling dirt over the grave.

Everyone else follows suit, sprinkling dirt and even holly, which you assume to be fake. Soon after, people begin to disperse. You walk away mindlessly, looking up to find yourself at another grave.

Nate Howard.

Suddenly, a strong emotion has an icy cold grip on you. Your insides twist and your face goes numb. You didn't even attend his memorial service, it was too painful.

"Hey, you okay?"

You turn to see Vince's concerned expression.

"Oh, yeah," you wipe away tears you didn't even realize were there.

"We're gonna catch this bastard."

A moment passes as you both stare at Nate's grave.

"Hell yes we are."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright we at least know a pattern. The killer prefers stabbing."

You sit on your apartment floor, surrounded by notes and snack wrappers. Vince sits across from you, trying to look deep in thought.

"But that doesn't mean anything, it could've just been convenient in the moment, or what's just easier for them at certain times," Vince says.

"Yeah, but..." you trail off. He does have a point.

You slap your hands to your face and fall back.

"Ughhhh..."

"It's okay, we're only trying to catch a dangerous killer with no expertise in detective or police work."

He has a point. Again.

"Wait!" you shoot up straight. "Honey's brother!"

"Okay? What about him?"

"We could ask her how he was killed. If he was stabbed, then it could be the same killer."

Vince ponders for a moment, but decides not to say anything after seeing your expression.

"Alright fine, let's go."

The two of you rush out of your apartment, headed towards Honey.

When you reach her address, you knock, stepping back to wait for the door to open. Then it clicks.

"Hello?" Honey says through the now cracked door. "Oh, (y/n)? Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I have some questions," you reply.

She looks at you for a minute, almost like she's deciding something.

"Okay, come in."

You and Vince take your soggy shoes off and leave them by the door, along with your coats. A chill runs through your body.

"Sorry, it's a bit of a mess right now," she says. Something about her voice is...off. She looks out the door before closing it and locking it.

You and Vince exchange a look, and you try to decipher if he's feeling what you are.

"Honey, are you okay?"

She pauses for a moment before turning around.

"Yeah, I just have a cold." She quickly turns to face you with a small smile on her face.

"Oh okay, I was just worried something had happened."

She shakes her head, but her smile stays stuck. It's a...weird...expression.

"Do you guys want tea? It's raining heavily out there."

You and Vince both turn it down.

"Are you sure? I have multiple flavors." She insists.

For some odd and unknown reason, your defenses kick in and you turn it down again. Honey chews on her lip.

"Ah well, next time maybe!" 

She quickly walks past you to her living room. You and Vince follow, taking  a seat on the couch across from where Honey is sitting.

"So what do you need to talk about?" Her body language is weird. She's sitting almost too formally, making small glances to the side every few minutes.

"Uh, well we went to the bot fight area," you keep a close eye on how she reacts, "but no dice. In fact, we met someone who knew Roman but they refused to give anything up and kicked us out."

Honey's lips purse up and her eyes widen for a moment before resetting.

"Who was it?"

"That's another thing, we have no idea." Vince explains.

"Um, what did she look like?"

You and Vince both shoot up straight.

"We never said it was a woman."

Honey becomes rigid, as if somebody had just turned her to stone. Some of the warm glow drains from her face, and her eyes reflect the gears turning in her mind.

"Well, I just guessed..."

"There is absolutely no way," Vince starts, "that you just happened to guess this bot fighter was a woman, when she even disguises herself as a man to fool her opponents."

"Honey, what are you not telling us?" You ask.

"I'm not feeling too well."

"Honey..." You abruptly cut her off.

"You two need to leave. Right now. Out."

She moves towards you and Vince, forcing you both to stand up.

"Honey, please-"

"Out!"

She ushers both of you to the door, unlocking it. She practically shoves you out without so much as a goodbye.

"Honey, I'm begging you-"

She slams the door before you can finish.

"Well screw you too then!" Vince yells, slapping her door. 

Vince takes a breath and slowly turns around to meet your emotionless gaze.

"(Y/N)? Are you okay?"

"I..." you trail off. Honey knows something, but she won't tell you. You thought she was your friend, but she seems to be proving otherwise.

"Why don't we go home and figure it out after we sleep," Vince says, placing a hand on your shoulder. 

"Yeah, I guess that's best."

The two of you reluctantly head off down the hall, realizing the exhaustion that's taking a toll on your bodies. Both desperation and hopelessness cling to you like static.