Brotherly Love

You clutch your (favorite hot drink) in your hands as you wait for the bell to ring. So much is happening and it buzzes in your head. Vince is getting released later this week, if they don't decide he's guilty anyway, even without hard evidence.

Honey walks in, looking frantic.

"Oh, (y/n)!" She waves from the front of the class.

People turn to look at you and you slowly getting up, trying to stay hushed.

"Honey, what? The bell's about to ring."

"Yes I know, I know. I was trying to find you," she pauses, out of breath, "I needed to ask you if you want to grab dinner later, and talk."

The way she added that last part makes you suspicious.

"Uh, yeah. I can. LCC, or..."

"No." She replies sternly, leaving you confused.

"What? Why?"

"Just because." 

The bell rings.

"I'll leave you to your class, meet me at the bookstore down the street, it has a restaurant in the back."

She squeezes you and prances off in her platforms. How she hasn't broken an ankle is a miracle.

You daze your way through the lecture and looking back at your notes, you don't understand anything that you wrote. The dismissal bell rings and you drag yourself out of the class, exhausted.

What could Honey Lemon have to tell you that made her so rushed?

(•--•)

You stand outside of the bookstore that Honey mentioned. It's a dull purple outside, and streetlights are starting to flicker on. You shiver slightly as the September breeze sweeps through. People walk by from both directions, caught up in small talk. You turn to the right and see Honey Lemon strutting down the sidewalk wearing a pair of knee high boots, with the same height of heel as normal.

"Hi (y/n)!" She waves cheerfully.

"Hey!" You start towards her.

She, almost forcefully, pulls you into a hug, looming over you.

She pulls back, staring at you intently with her hands on your shoulders.

"We need to talk."

You nod and walk inside together.

"Hi Honey," one of the cashiers waves at the both of you.

"I take it you're a regular?" You ask her.

She looks back at you with a wide smile and a nod.

Gliding over to the café section of the store, she greets the barista.

"Hey Honey," she says, "the usual?"

Honey nods and continues talking, but you fade out. Nate would have loved this place, it's a cozy environment with books upon books. There's a couch in the corner, and chairs with little tables in between them. Nate's smile flashes across your mind. It feels like you had only known him for a day, not three months. Suddenly, anger and confusion fill your senses and you stand like a statue with its fists closed.

"(y/n)?" Honey gently lays a hand on your shoulder.

It makes you jump, and you're aware of the tears stuck burning behind your eyes. You look up to see her concerned expression, and her other manicured hand holding a cup of hot tea.

"I'm fine," you mumble, wiping your eyes with your sleeve.

"Are you sure?" she asks.

You nod, and she guides you over to a small table in the corner, hidden away from the main part of the store.

"So why is this so secretive?" you start.

Honey takes a long sip of her tea.

"Did I ever tell you about my brother?"

You think back, realizing that she hadn't, but you still hope that you didn't just forget.

"No, I don't think so," you say.

She stares down into her cup, as if she's remembering something from a long time ago.

"His name was Roman. He was 15, and he used to go to bot fights around the area that Hiro spends his time in."

"Used to?"

"Yes."

She looks away.

"Until he died."

If you weren't paying a lot of attention at first, you are now.

"I-I remember when he left, and he never came back home. He would always give us updates, you know, when matches were over or when he would be home. That night, he, he just never responded. I texted him maybe a few dozen times. Nothing. We didn't find out until two days after, a single police officer came to our door and broke it to us, but by then we already knew. It was dangerous in those areas. He could take care of himself, always had, but I feel like he just made the wrong person mad, or something with a gang maybe. I just wish I had been there to defend him, he'd still be alive."

You see tears spill over her eyes and you hold her hands in yours.

"It was not your fault, Honey. What happened happened, you shouldn't hang it over your head."

"I know, I just can't help it."

"I get it, I know how it feels."

Honey holds your hands tighter and straightens herself, leaning forward.

"That's why I asked you to come here. I think they might be connected. Nate and my brother I mean."

"What? As far as I know, Nate never went to any bot fights."

"Yes, but what if they accidentally ticked off the wrong person or something."

"I don't know...I don't know anyone that Nate would've been around like that."

"Listen, (y/n). It can't hurt to try to figure it out. Maybe you and Vince could go, check it out around there."

"I'd have to ask him...idk if he's mentally stable enough to do that."

"Yeah, you're probably right. But, it can't hurt to ask."

Her big eyes stare into yours through her glasses.

"Alright, we'll check it out."

She throws herself across the table to hug you.

"Thank you so much (y/n). I'll always have my phone on me if you need anything."

You smiled weakly and patted her shoulder before she released her grip on you.

"Vince should be out soon, they can't keep him longer than seventy-two hours."

"I'm surprised he hasn't called anyone yet," she says.

"Maybe he called Jake," you think. He probably would've called Jake, he wasn't too happy with you last time you saw him. 

"Probably."

You two wave goodbye outside the door. She strides off to the parking lot across the street and your phone buzzes, scaring you. The caller ID reads "Vince".

"Hello?" you answer.