A Familiar Feeling

No morning texts still. It's ten in the morning, usually Nate has texted you by now. You sigh.

Maybe he got home late and slept in.

You set your phone down. Your first class doesn't start until eleven today, so you have time. You think back to last night, Nate, and the kiss. Oh gosh, that kiss. You still can't believe it happened. A smile forms on your lips and you can't stop it. You can't wait to see him again.

Bzz bzz.

You pick up your phone, only to see a text from a group of people, not Nate. Honey, Gogo, Wasabi, Fred, Hiro, and some other numbers you don't recognize.

Honey: Guys, you might wanna take a look at this...

You open an attachment; a link to a news article.

SFIT Student Found Dead in Street

A student from San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, now identified as Nate Howard, was found dead in a street near the apartments surrounding the school. Police say it was a hit and run, but the scene is spotless. No evidence has been found. An anonymous phone call was made to 911 at the time of the accident from a temporary number. There are currently no suspects, but police have warned to take caution when walking or driving at night to reduce the risk of more accidents...

You can't read any more. You quickly respond.

You: Ohmygosh, is he really...

Honey: I'm so sorry luv :(

Gogo: Damn...why would someone do that

Fred: Woah

Honey: No one knows why, and it's not like he would have given someone a motive, not Nate...

Wasabi: Are you okay (Y/N)?

You: I'll see you all at school.

Hiro: What the heck happened?

You ignore the rest of the texts, setting their chat on Do Not Disturb. The room starts to spin slowly and your chest feels heavy.

He can't be dead...

You swallow the lump in your throat. Maybe they got the name wrong, or there might be another Nate at the school. You stare at the ceiling with tears stinging behind your eyes, and your arms wrapped around your waist.

It couldn't have happened that fast, you think, nothing happens that fast

(•--•)

The bell rings, signaling the last five minutes before class starts. You walk to Calculus, staring ahead blankly, barely noticing the glances from other students as they whisper.

"Wasn't she dating him?"

"Pretty sure," comes the response.

"What did he do for someone to do this?" Someone else asks.

"Who knows."

"That's really sad..."

They fade out as you enter the classroom. You take your seat, pulling out your notebook and a pen. A few minutes later, Hiro walks in, the bell ringing again shortly after. There's no sign of Tadashi today.