More Than One Victim in This

The sharp ringing of the fire alarm jolts you awake from the light sleep you'd just sunk into. You quickly throw your blanket off and stand up, moving towards the door. Out in the hall, several people stand around, passing panicked whispers.

"Did you hear about the landlady? I heard she's dead upstairs." One woman mutters.

The noise increases as you follow the line of people against the wall, going upstairs. You make your way through the crowd, careful not to tread on the small children clinging to their parents. You squeeze into an opening in the hallway, gasping and covering your mouth. Holly lies in a twisted position, blood pooling around her. A pale Vince sits at the end of the hallway.

"Vince!" You shout and run over to him.

He's shaking, sitting cross-legged, and holding his arms. 

"Hey," you kneel down in front of him, "what happened?"

He doesn't respond. His eyes are glazed over, and shock is glued to his face.

"Vince?"

Something in his eyes snaps, and he sits up straight.

"Jake."

He stands up and takes off running down the hall, pushing people aside in the hall. You turn and follow him.

"Vince, stop!" 

He throws himself into his apartment, and you struggle to continue running after him. You reach his door, stopping to catch your breath. You walk through, heading towards Vince's bedroom, the only source of light in the apartment. You turn the corner to see a panicked Jake being hugged tightly by Vince.

Jake meets your gaze, giving you a terrified look.

You shrug in response. You hear muffled sobbing, and realize it's Vince. You and Jake exchange glances again, eyes widening.

"What is going on?" Jake holds Vince out at arm's length. 

Vince stares straight through Jake.

"I think he's in shock," you say.

"Well yeah, he's bound to be," Jake responds shortly. He pulls Vince back into his embrace.

You stand in the doorway, your arms crossed lightly.

There is no way all of this is a coincidence.

"Do you think a murderer is involved now?" you furrow your eyebrows, thinking more, "I mean, think about it. First Nate, and now Vin- er, Holly."

"(y/n)!" Jake exclaims suddenly, "your conspiracies aren't helping him right now!"

"But, you agreed with me earlier!" You say, taken aback.

"That was different! Nate had nothing to do with this, he was hit by a damn car walking home at night! This isn't some avenge story, this is life, okay?! Someone broke into our apartment, and killed to cover his tracks, that's it."

"But, I-" hot tears sting behind your eyes.

"No, please, just stop. I think you should go back to your place and sleep."

At that, you don't stay much longer. You close their bedroom door, but when you reach the hall, you're faced with two policemen.

"Ma'am, who was it you were running after?"

"Uh, oh. My, my friend."

"Is it true that this friend of yours was the man seen with Holly Greene, the landlady found dead on these premises?"

"Uh, well, I mean," your eyes dart between Vince's apartment and one of the men leans over to his partner and whispers something you can't hear. They both nod.

"Thank you, miss."

"What did I do?"

"Just enough." At that, they turn and walk into Vince's room.

Moments later, they emerge, holding a handcuffed Vince. He looks broken, and barely gives you a glance. He keeps his head down, and the whispers rise up again.

"He did do it, I told you!"

"Oh poor kid, must be troubled in the mind."

Jake stands in the doorway, tears streaking his face. You look back at him, and he stares at you before turning and shutting the door. More policemen walk through the hall, stopping to talk to residents. Deciding you don't want to be a part of any questioning, you slip back into your room.

You climb back into bed, and slowly but surely, fall back asleep, hoping everything and everyone will be okay.