...

"You think (y/n) will be okay?" Jake asks, turning to Vince. Vince shifts the blanket, barely opening his eyes.

"Yeah, she's tough." 

"Yeah, I mean, I don't know her that well, so." Jake says.

"Neither do I. I only met her three weeks ago."

Jake yawns and pulls the blanket back up to his chin.

"I'm going to bed, night. Love you."

"Love you. I'm gonna go get water, be right back." Vince stands up and flicks on a lamp before heading out into the kitchen.

He stands at the fridge after getting a glass. A noise brings his attention to the door.

"The hell?" Vince sets his glass on the counter before heading towards the door. He raises an eye to the peephole, staring for a few moments before opening the door.

"Hello?" He sticks his head out, looking down each end of the dark hall. His head quickly turns to one end at the sound of footsteps. Vince squints his eyes.

The footsteps stop abruptly, eerily close. Vince steps out slowly, his eyes adjusting to the dark to see that he's face to face with a person masked by the darkness. Something silver reflects the small light from his apartment. Vince backs up, attempting to close his door.

"No." The attacker steps between the door frame and Vince turns and runs.

The two circle around the room, chasing each other out the door. Vince sprints down the black hallway in an attempt to lose his chaser. Hitting a dead end, he stops and presses his back to the wall, waiting.

"Hello?" A voice calls out.

The lights come on, and Holly stands at the center of the hall.

"Holly?"

"Vincent?"

"It's...never mind. Did you see some weird dude running around here?

"No? Do I need to call the cops?"

"Yeah, prob-" Vince is cut off, his jaw hanging open.

A silver blade plunges through Holly's stomach from behind her. She doubles over, clutching the wound.

"Grab the...alarm..."

Holly falls, motionless. Vince doesn't stay still long enough to see the killer. He reaches up, adrenaline pumping, and pulls the fire alarm. The bells rip through the building, making the murderer take off. Vince stares at Holly, hoping Jake isn't laying the same way back in the apartment. Residents open their doors one by one, whispering and gasping at Holly's lifeless body, and the alarms echoing through the halls.