To a Bot Fight We Go...Again

"We can't just stop now," you tell Vince.

The two of you had made it out of Honey's apartment complex before you stopped to sit on the curb to discuss a plan - if there is one at all.

"Well," Vince picks at his shoe laces, "what do you suggest we do?"

You think for a moment, looking up at the full moon with light mist kissing your face. Everything that has happened so far feels so unreal and you feel almost as if you're trapped in a movie or a book. You watch cars pass on the street over, wondering if anyone else's life feels as crazy as yours.

"We need to go back downtown to the bot fights."

You don't even need to look at Vince to see his head hang.

"(y/n)...are you sure?"

"Yes," you say, nodding firmly.

"If we die, I'm going to kill you," Vince says, making you both laugh. It feels good to laugh, even with the heaviness that lays inside you. 

"Haha, yeah."

At this point, death seems better compared to the nightmare you're living. What if the killer gets away? Everyone knows the police are terrible at actually doing their job. So it's up to two college kids to save the day. Yikes.

You and Vince continue down the street, not even caring to avoid the puddles beneath your feet. Wet socks are nothing in contrast to hunting a literal serial killer. A dog barks in the near distance, making you jump into Vince. You both come to a halt, gripping each other as if your lives depended on it. Not a word passes between you two as you both slowly keep walking, hands still clinging to the other's.

In what seems like an eternity, you arrive downtown again. You and Vince both nod at each other and throw the hoods of your jackets up, lest you be recognized. Linking arms, the two of you nonchalantly walk into the crowd, which is strangely still large even with the weather. Street lamps light your path to a dark alley, ironically. Making sure you're not being followed, the two of you slip into the alleyway as if you hadn't been basked in dim light seconds before.

"(y/n)," Vince starts, still grasping your arm, "this may come as a shock to you, but I'm actually scared at the moment. No, I'm terrified. That lady is going to murder us and feel no ounce of remorse. Our bodies will just rot in a dark trash bin-"

"Vince. Hush." you whisper, as a figure approaches you. You instinctively go to reach for a weapon before realizing you do not have one.

"I said I would kill you if I saw your faces again. So tell me, why are you here?" a female voice says. 

Trembling from both fear and the cold rain, you and Vince cautiously step forward. Nearing a familiar entrance, the light reveals the voice.

"Oh fuck." Vince gasps.

"Hello again, lover boy." the fighter from earlier says, smirking under her hood.

"So, you haven't answered my question...why are you here again, and why should I not have you killed?" the woman says, reclining back in a chair. One leg is strung over the arm rest and her wet hair drips down her arms, over her numerous tattoos. Her face seems...bored.

"Well, if you would take these binds off, I would happily have a civil discussion with you." Vince spits. If anyone is going to get you killed, it's him.

"Why would I have a 'civil' discussion with someone that can't follow simple instructions? I told you not to come back here and you did anyway. Cuffs seem appropriate, don't you think so girls?"

At her smile, all the women in the room murmur in agreement. At the snap of her finger, silence ensues.

"So again," she says, leaning forward, "answer my damn question and maybe I won't kill you."

You draw a long breath before taking the floor...from the chair you're cuffed to.

"Look, I know you were adamant on not talking about that kid, Roman, but I need to know what happened that night. I talked to his older sister and she knew who you were, but wouldn't tell me how or why she did. My boyf-, my ex was murdered too and so were some of my friends. I don't know who's behind this but we need to put an end to it. Authorities have already stopped even looking into it. Can you not imagine how this feels?" your voice strains at the end as you prevent tears from spilling onto the floor.

The woman stands up slowly, striding over to you.

"This is it (y/n)," Vince mumbles, "it was nice knowing you. To an extent."

The two of you bow your heads as you await your seemingly inevitable fate. Her shadow looms over you and it's hard to fathom this is the last thing you'll ever see.

"Oh grow up you big babies, I'm not going to kill you." She sighs. She snaps her fingers and two men from the entrance run in and begin freeing you. As soon as they're done, she extends her hand.

"Well don't be shy."

 Her smile becomes oddly warm.