Ch 11 - Your POV - Freewill

No matter where I put my hands, they wouldn't hold still.

Jimin was in danger. That's what Suho wanted to speak with him privately about yesterday, wasn't it? Sure, it was normal for royalty to get threats of all kinds. Letters. Protesters. Websites full of slander. But gunshots?

My hands shook.

What was taking them so long?

I watched the clock. No matter how many times I blinked, it didn't change.

Where was he? What were they talking about? Why wouldn't he tell me something like this? What if... what if a bullet had gone through him? I never would be able to --

Knock. Knock. Knock.

I jumped up, opening the door.

But it wasn't who I expected.

"...Jungkook?"

Jungkook stepped into the room, wrapping his hands around my shoulders. "Are you all right?"

Where was Jimin?

I nodded. "Yes. Yes, I'm okay."

He exhaled. "I was so worried. When I heard the news, I thought something happened to you. Where's Jimin?"

"He's in a meeting downstairs."

Jungkook growled. "Of course he would be off by himself, that bastard."

I dropped my head.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked. "You're shaking."

I felt my eyes starting to well. I didn't want Jungkook to see me cry, but no one else was here. My chest ached. Why wasn't Jimin here with me? Why didn't he want to be here with me?

I shook my head. I wasn't okay. I wasn't okay at all.

Jungkook pulled me into his embrace. I should have fought back. I should have told him it was inappropriate. But I felt so alone. For months, I felt alone. From the marriage announcement, to the engagement, to the wedding, Jimin distanced himself from me. During this entire time, Jungkook was my only comfort. Why couldn't Jimin hold me like this? Why couldn't he see that I didn't want to be left here alone?

He hated me.

I couldn't hold back my tears. "This is so much harder than I thought it would be."

His hands wrapped around my back tighter. "I know. It's hard on me too. It's hard for me to see you like this. I wish I could take you away from all this. I wish I could protect you, Y/N."

I gripped onto his shirt, shutting my eyes. I wanted to keep this one moment. This was the first time someone had told me they wanted to protect me. I couldn't remember Father ever saying something that wonderful to me. I don't think Jimin ever would.

My eyes shot open. Jimin had pushed me against the wall when the gunshots started, didn't he?

That was protection too, wasn't it?

Our embrace broke, and Jungkook put his hands around my face.

"I'll do everything I can to keep you safe." he said.

He brushed my tears away with his fingers.

The door squeaked open.

Jimin stopped halfway through the entrance, holding onto the doorknob. Everything in me wanted to run to him and ask him what happened.

The glare in his eyes said it was a bad idea.

"Want to tell me why you're in my room?" he asked Jungkook.

"Where the hell have you been?" Jungkook replied. "Y/N almost gets shot and you just run off somewhere?"

I couldn't even defend Jimin this time. The truth was, I was happy someone was saying what I couldn't.

Jimin's eyes flickered, a sharp smile on his face. "Doesn't explain why you're in my room though."

Jungkook's hand wrapped around Jimin's collar, shoving him into the wall. I opened my mouth to say something, but my words wouldn't come out.

"If you don't do your job right, you'll be seeing a lot more of me." Jungkook threatened. "I promise you."

Jimin grabbed his hand and threw it off. "I suggest you leave before I have to call someone to make you."

Jungkook narrowed his eyes. With a clenched fist, he turned and stormed out the door.

Leaving me with Jimin.

His eyes met mine, cold and unforgiving. He didn't say anything. He started to walk past, but I grabbed his arm.

"Jimin, wait –"

He yanked his arm out of my hold. The air felt thick on my fingertips. When he turned around, the man who had held my face earlier and asked me if I was okay was gone.

"Jimin, it's not what you think..."

"Isn't it, though?" he asked. "I leave for a moment and I come back to find him in here with you? How long did you wait before you called him, huh?"

I shook my head. "I didn't call him. I don't even have –"

"If you really want him that badly, then go for it. Don't let me stop you."

I stopped. He couldn't be serious, could he?

"What are you even saying?" I asked.

He bit his lip, looking over to the side of the room. "I didn't want this marriage either. So I get it."

My stomach twisted. I knew it was true, but hearing him say it was so painful.

"Go to him then." he continued. "As long as no one finds out, both of us can do whatever we want."

I turned my head down, unable to look at him. I knew he didn't want me, but...

"Excuse me." I whispered, not meeting his eyes.

I went to the bathroom and locked the door. Sitting on the floor, I threw my head into my hands.

He hates me.

He really hates me.

All my fears hit my chest.

In that moment I wished Jungkook hadn't left. I wished he was still here, holding onto me and comforting me. At least I knew he didn't hate me. At least I knew he would be there for me.

But now... I was completely alone. I would always be alone.

Maybe Jimin was right. Maybe I should go to Jungkook.