Ch 33.5 - Fair

Suho leaned against the couch in the surveillance room, shutting his eyes.

"Do you want some ramen, Sydney?" he heard Baekhyun ask.

"Stop throwing food at me, Baekhyun. I'm fine."

"You haven't eaten all day."

"I'm busy."

"One bowl?"

"Stop bothering me."

There was a pause. The smell of ramen wafted through the room, making Suho's nostrils twitch.

"MmmmmMMMM," Baekhyun hummed dramatically. "It smells SO good."

Sydney growled. "Stop that."

Suho opened his eyes and looked over. Baekhyun, wide eyed and grinning, nudged the bowl at Sydney. He gave a slight bow as he put the chopsticks next to her. Sydney's eyes lingered over the bowl for a long moment.

"...If it will get you to stop bothering me." she muttered as she pulled the bowl close to her.

Baekhyun smiled, putting his cheek against his hand to watch her eat.

Suho sighed through his nose. He sat up.

"Baekhyun," Suho said. "Go be useful and contact Kai. See if he's found those CCTVs yet."

Baekhyun frowned, but Suho wasn't in the mood. He jerked his head to motion for Baekhyun to leave. Pursing his lips together, Baekhyun took his orders and left the room. Sydney slurped on her ramen, not looking at him.

"What's the deal with the priest?" Suho asked. "You don't really think he did it, do you?"

She stirred the noodles. "Of course not. He doesn't have a motive. But if I can get King Martin to think there is no longer a threat, he won't keep trying to drag his daughter out of the castle."

Suho laughed. "Change of heart?"

"Hell no," Sydney replied. "But I'm not going to get anywhere in this investigation if he's in another freaking country. I need everyone to stay put if I'm going to make any progress." She finally looked up at him. "What's your status?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. Weeks of going through CCTVs, interviewing witnesses, looking into criminal backgrounds... everything is coming up short."

She cleaned the broth from her chin. "Dammit. Why is this so difficult?"

"I'm taking a power nap while you eat your dinner." Suho replied, rubbing his face. "I'll meet back here in forty minutes."

She stopped for a moment to lean over and pick up a file. She handed it to him. "Here, take these with you back to the filing room. They're taking up space."

He opened the folder. "The emails? Do you think they're fake like Princess Hanna suggested?"

"I don't really trust anyone in this family," she replied, "but I'm tired of looking at them for the moment. I'll come back to them."

Suho paused, then nodded. "So be it."

He left the surveillance room, yearning for a nap. A vacation would have been nice. Even just a day off. The twelve-hour shifts had turned into seventeen and eighteen-hour shifts thanks to Sydney. Maybe there was a way to get rid of her...

Before he could go further into his thoughts, he was greeted by Chanyeol's obnoxious grin.

"Wow, Suho," Chanyeol said. "You look like a wreck. How's your fabulous job going?"

Suho looked around. "Do you even have a job?"

He tried to walk past him, but Chanyeol followed. "Prince Jungkook doesn't like me to linger."

"That seems rather stupid since you're his bodyguard."

"Head guard. Not bodyguard. I don't have to do two jobs. That's why I can do my job so well. It's really a shame you have to juggle so much. I think your performance is suffering because of it."

Suho turned to him. "Do you have something useful to say? If not, leave."

"Touchy today," Chanyeol teased. "Is there anything I can help you with? Ease your mind?"

"Get lost."

He couldn't play the mind games today. It was too long of a week for that.

Chaneyol laughed. "Ah, I really do feel sorry for you, Suho. So much potential wasted in this sad job of yours. You worked so hard in academy just to end up being overworked and underpaid, working for a king that may not last long in his position." He clicked his tongue. "Things really aren't fair, are they?"

Suho didn't reply. 

Chanyeol left, almost skipping. Suho grunted and walked down to the filing room. He switched on the light, locked the door behind him, and threw the file on the desk. Rubbing his exhausted eyes, he walked to the far wall and ran his finger down it, then pressed firmly into a small hole in the wallpaper. The wall opened to a small safe. He put in the code, opened it, and pulled out a laptop. Sitting down at the desk, he turned it on.

As it loaded, he opened the file of emails next to him and looked them over. The corners of his lips pull back until his teeth showed.

"Oh, Chanyeol," he whispered. "Who said anything about being fair?"