Ch 23 - Your POV - Allies

"After what happened yesterday, I would've had a panic attack too."

The doctor pulled out the IV. Jimin winced, rubbing his sore hand.

"You're healthy, Your Majesty." the doctor continued. "There's nothing to worry about. It happens to plenty of people."

Jimin gave a slow nod, blankly staring forward. His cheeks were still so pale, etched with exhaustion.

"Just don't tell my family." he said with a half smile. "My mother would suffocate me with coddling."

The doctor chucked and nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty."

I exhaled. Jimin had spent half the night convulsing and struggling to breathe, and there was nothing I could do except try not to cry the entire night. I thought he was going to die. It was far from the truth, but it was so terrifying. Surviving a shooter and explosions only to die by stress? I couldn't handle the thought.

Especially because I caused it. 

If I hadn't gone to Jungkook, this wouldn't have happened.

"Thank you, Xiumin." Jimin said. "I appreciate your help." His eyes wandered over to me, then back to the doctor. "Would you mind giving us a moment?"

The doctor nodded and left, shutting the door behind him.

Jimin looked at me, then dropped his head towards his lap. Was he angry with me still?

He rubbed his chest, a chuckle leaving his lips. "Who knew you could hit so hard? I couldn't breathe for hours."

My heart ached at his joke.

"I'm sorry." he said quickly. "It wasn't funny, was it?"

I stared at him. He reached out his hand, but I pulled away. If he touched me now, I wouldn't be able to hold myself together.

He gave a light smile, nodding. "I deserved getting hit. I shouldn't have... I shouldn't have done that, Y/N. I'm sorry."

I looked down, remembering his lips on mine. I wondered for months if he would ever kiss me. I wanted real feelings from him. But now he had kissed me, and I still didn't know what his feelings were.

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

He inhaled, holding his breath. After a long moment, he let it go.

"Because you're mine." he said.

Fire burned in my stomach. Did I hear him wrong?

"What?" I asked.

He swung his legs over the side of the bed, facing me. "You're mine." he repeated. "I won't apologize for keeping you to myself."

I swallowed, trying to get my words out. "What do you mean?"

"How else is there to mean it? We're married. Regardless of the reasons, you're my wife."

His wife? My eyes started to water. He had never called me that before. I tried to swallow my feelings. I didn't want to cry in front of him now.

He stood from the bed, stepping towards me. "I know our relationship isn't the strongest, but I need to know you're on my side. God knows I need an ally more than anything now."

He reached for my hand again, grabbing it before I could pull away. His fingers interlaced gently with mine, and he put our hands against his chest. His eyes were searching mine. 

I squeezed his hand and nodded. "You have an ally, Jimin."

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

"I just need you to answer one question for me, Y/N."

I opened my eyes and looked at him. I'd tell him the worst parts of my soul if it kept last night from happening again.

"Why didn't you call off the engagement?" he asked.

I stepped back a little, looking up at him. Why was he asking me about that now? 

My mind wandered back to the night, thinking of seeing Jimin kiss another woman, and the look on my father's face when I told him.

"I tried." I admitted, looking down to avoid his reaction. "But... I didn't have a choice."

"Why would your parents make you marry me?"

I smirked. "Why would your parents make you get married?"

His lip curled to the side. "Fair point. I suppose we both have to suffer with marital politics."

His smile faded, and his hands rested on my shoulders. "But there are rumors. Your Father... is he... planning something?"

I bit my lip. Father had always demanded I marry Jimin. He never told me a reason for it. But now, with him pushing for an heir, I was getting a horrible feeling in my gut.

I put my hand on top of his, gripping it. "I don't know." I said, looking into his eyes. "I really don't know."

My will then betrayed me, allowing a couple tears to fall. He nodded at me and smiled, bringing one his hands up to stroke my hair. I closed my eyes, letting the comfort of his fingertips soothe me.

Then I remembered Jungkook's lips against my neck.

My eyes snapped open, feeling guilt wash over my chest again.

There was a knock at the door. Jimin's hands fell back to his sides.

"Come in," he said.

The door cracked open, revealing Jin's smiling face. He opened the door and swooped in.

"I heard you had a panic attack?" he said to Jimin. "Now you know what the rest of us go through. Welcome to being a king."

"How did you hear about it?" Jimin asked. 

"Uh, not so much hear. I saw the doctor come for you. Naturally, I had to ask about your condition."

Jimin grunted, sitting back down on the bed. "Don't tell mother."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

"Do I have more of these to look forward to?" Jimin asked, reclining back.

Jin shrugged. "Won't be the last time, I'm sure. At least, not until we catch these people who are after you."

"I'm irresistible. There's always someone after me."

"At least your sense of humor isn't dead." Jin sighed, sitting next to him on the bed. "What's your plan?"

Jimin shrugged. "I think I've done all I can do."

"There has to be something more we haven't thought of."

I looked at Jimin's pale face, wishing I was useful. All I had done was involve Jungkook and made things worse. Jimin needed an ally. I wanted to be that for him.

There was only one way to do that now. Something I wasn't sure I was strong enough to do. But I had to.

I had to find out what my father was planning.