Ch 20 - Jimin POV - Celebrations

I smiled the best I could.

Jin was right. There would always be something or someone against me. That wouldn't change. I should have been celebrating when I could, breathing when I had the chance.

I tried to push the questions that pulled on me the most to the back of my mind.

Could I survive as king?

Maybe Sehun was right. I wasn't cut out for this.

But if he was king... would our people suffer?

"Can I offer you a glass, Y/N?"

I watched Jin start to hand Y/N a glass of wine. I reached out and took it from him, shaking my head.

"No alcohol for her." I said.

Jin laughed. "Why not?"

I glanced at Y/N, then at Jin. "She doesn't hold her alcohol well."

She frowned at me. "You're not so great with it either."

Jin's eyes widened. "Am I missing something?"

I gave the glass back to Jin.

"Fine." I said. "No alcohol for either of us."

She nodded.

Jungkook rolled his eyes, walking over and picking up the glass. He downed it in one shot.

"Easy, Kookie." Hanna said over on the side of the room. "We just got started."

"Stop calling me that." he muttered in return.

Jin held his glass up in a toast. "To our newest king. May you continue to grow in wisdom and character to lead your people well. And may the heart of your queen to give you strength in hard times."

I swallowed, looking over at Y/N. Her eyes met mine for a second, then we both looked away.

The heart of my queen...?

I saw Jungkook's eyes turn to her. She looked up at him, holding his gaze for a moment before looking down.

I don't think I ever had her heart to begin with. '

The night was mostly pleasant. There werehors d'oeuvres and endless drinks, which Y/N and I took no part of, but the others did. Jin started telling jokes to release the tension, and they were so terrible that they did just that.

Y/N leaned towards me, her voice low.

"Something happened that night, didn't it?" she asked.

I sipped on my pineapple juice. "What night?"

"The night I got drunk."

I looked into my glass, thinking about that night.

Hold me. For real. Just once.

I remembered her arms around my neck, looking up into my eyes.

I wanted to hold her then. I was tempted to do a lot of things. But she was drunk. I didn't want to take advantage of her.