Chapter 1 The break's over

After finishing their little song number, David slumps on the floor with his guitar on his lap. He's quite exhausted from that amazing duet he and Daniel had! The other man was standing above him with a malicious grin. David nervously smiled back. Wow, he's good with the fiddle, David thinks. But I can do better with my guitar, he smiles at the approaching blonde.

"Any last words, David?" Daniel's grin widens and he looks down upon the brunette. David thinks it's a little bit ominous the way he said it. But it doesn't matter. He won't let Daniel take over his camp. He makes a move to stand up until a second later, the space in front of him is occupied by light blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Daniel's fiddle seems to be discarded and he held something else in his hand. He had this thing against his throat and David can't see it. It was cold and metallic. But he felt a dreadful feeling crawl up his spine.

"Now, let me make this clear." Daniel doesn't hesitate to get closer to David. A little too close, he thinks. He gets a little uncomfortable and tries to back away.

The other boy chuckled. "Oh, you won't be going anywhere," David backs up into something sturdy and hard. Seeing that the camp counselor had backed up into a tree, Daniel takes a moment to laugh.

"You know, in all my life, I've never met a camp counselor as dumb and naïve as you. It's quite entertaining but gosh darn, does it get in my nerves. Do you even understand what's happening? What I did?" Daniel moved his arm and pierced the tree behind David with the knife–of course it was a knife. It became obvious when he heard the thunk of metal on a wooden surface–he held in his hand. David frowned, hurt evident in his features.

"Now, that's not a nice thing to say," he mumbled and watched as Daniel stared at him for a second. The other camp counselor craned his neck and sighed in disappointment.

"Honestly, David. You make me laugh," said the blonde, slowly grinning again in that way that sent shivers up David's spine. Is that a good thing? David wonders for a split second before his thoughts were interrupted by the boy in front of him. Daniel got up and hid the blade from his sight. He watched the blonde devil walk up to the table where the other campers were standing behind. David slowly got up on his feet and stared in curiosity.

Daniel's pants just hugs the right places, David's mind wandered as his stare traveled lower on the white-clad camp counselor. He choked a bit and caught himself before making a fool out of himself. Daniel looked back momentarily and continued with whatever he was doing. David was too busy looking down at the floor in embarrassment that when he heard the rustling of clothes, Daniel was already standing in front of him.

"Eep!" David yelped at the sudden appearance. The blonde rolled his eyes. Daniel was holding a red plastic cup with purple liquid inside when he approached.

"It would be such a shame if our beloved camp counselor didn't share a drink with us. What would this celebration be all for?" Daniel stuck out his bottom lip in a pout that David found quite cute. He blushed as the blonde approached. What in heaven's name am I thinking? Get yourself together, Davey! He scolds himself.

"It's... a special concoction the kids and I made. It truly brought all of us campers together to work on it. Oh, the smiles on their faces! I guess you can say we made it with love." The blonde man snickered. David felt a warm tingle in his chest. He smiled so huge that he felt his cheeks hurt.

"Awwww, Danny! You shouldn't have! That's the most wonderful thing I've ever heard. I could never get these kids to work on something together and it's so difficult. I can't believe you actually got them working side by side," David wiped a stray tear from his face in happiness. Maybe he was wrong to think of Daniel as a rival. He was a great camp counselor and united the entire camp. He hoped Cameron Campbell would still let him work alongside Daniel. Gosh, it would be an honor, he thinks enthusiastically.

Meanwhile, Daniel grimaced at the newfound nickname the brunette gave him. David didn't put much thought into it. It just slipped out of his mouth, is all. Daniel stepped closer to him and his finger pushed the cup upwards to his lips.

"Enough of this blabbering. Don't you think all that singing we did dehydrated you? Cause I sure am parched. But I'd like to tend to your needs first." Daniel cocks his head to the side and smiled at the boy. David thinks his smile is charming and is compelled to bring Daniel a drink too. Forgetting the events that happened with the knife and the ominous threats, he smiles back.

"Well, if you say so, good friend! I trust that you made this punch taste real good. Must be part of your expertise," he joked.

"You have no idea how much of an expert I am at... certain things." Daniel chuckled almost menacingly. David chuckles along nervously. What's with all this spooky act he's putting up? Seriously, Daniel's starting to kinda scare me, David admits in his head. Just as he was bringing the plastic cup to his lips, a car pulled up and he heard a familiar voice. Gwen!

"David! Fire that fucking weirdo 'cause I found us our new camp counselor. Jen!"

Both of his and Daniel's attention swing to the other girl who got out of the car. David felt an urge to laugh at how she seemed similar to Gwen but with lighter hair and clothes. Oh wait...

"I'm really into fashion and trashy magazines,"

The girl who looked like Gwen was holding a teen magazine. When it flipped open, there were a bunch of red doodles on the page. It had quite a dramatic representation of death and torture. From beside him, Daniel gasped. The white-clad camp counselor ran towards Jen.

"What the hell are you doing here?" There was a terrifying edge in his voice as he looked at the newcomer. David had an inkling that the two of them knew each other. Awww, they must be from the same camp! He thought sympathetically. Didn't Daniel say their camp shut down? He left to let the two of them catch up.

"Hey Gwen!"

"David, what did that fucking weirdo do to this camp? Why is everyone wearing white?" Gwen approached him. Huh, he didn't notice that before. David shrugged and Gwen didn't seem to mind.