Chapter 19

"David! Daniel! The mess hall just got really messy!" Preston shouted as he ran towards them. There was an odd stain on his shirt as he got closer.

"What?" David quickly got on his feet and helped the blonde up.

"Nurf started a food fight and Max threw his shit back. Then everyone started throwing and ugh! I've been victimized." He flailed his arms and dramatically fell on his knees.

"Wasn't Gwen there to monitor you guys?" David furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah, lot of help she was," Preston muttered from the ground. He got up and dusted off the dirt. "She got fed up too and started throwing shit around."

"Language," David scolded lightly, but he was more concerned with what was happening at the moment.

"Just hurry your ass back in the hall!" Preston yelled as he took off in the same direction he came from. David sighed and turned to the other.

"Can we talk later?" He asked.

"Of course. Meet me at my cabin tonight." Daniel smiled.

They both ran to the mess hall and opened the doors to see the aftermath of the events. Substance that had been mashed together dripped on the walls. The ceiling had bits of food stuck on it. The floor was a sticky mess and the tables have been turned over as barricades. The campers were separated into two groups and had hid behind the tables. They were tired out but some were still flinging food around.

The brunette saw Max just as he was about to throw a handful of mashed potatoes.

"Max!" He crossed his arms and scolded. "Everyone, please!"

Yet, he went unnoticed as the kids began to shriek and throw again. Gwen had hid behind the kitchen counter and held a pan in defense. She caught David's eye and stood. She too tried to get the campers attention but was given the same treatment.

Slimey, troublemaking little—

He jumped as the doors behind him slammed with an intensity that almost shook the entire mess hall. This got everybody's eyes on him. No, not him. As he turned, he saw the culprit to be Daniel.  The co-counselor cleared his throat.

"I see we've got a problem on our hands." His eyes swept the room and met everyone's stare. The food that some of the kids held now dropped to the floor. "Who started the fight?" And just like that, the kids grew silent. Their hands pointed at either Max or at the other kid hiding behind the opposite table, Nurf.

"I think when a problem like this arises, it's appropriate to give out a penalty to the mischief makers." He turned and looked at David. It took him a moment to realize the co-counselor was asking him for permission to punish them. No, he almost said out loud. He then became clouded with guilt when he realized he thought Daniel would harm them.

He nodded silently.

That was all the confirmation Daniel needed. He turned back to the campers now with a look of superiority. "Pick up a rag and a bucket and start cleaning, all of you." He bellowed in an authoritative tone. Immediately, all the kids started moving. David was frozen on his spot as he watched the events unfold. Daniel was the first to ever stop a commotion such as that quickly. Usually it took him and Gwen several tries and even then, still failed. Heck, there was one time the kids took over camp and they were helpless to stop it.

This gave David an odd feeling and was in awe with Daniel more. His show of dominance sent blood rushing to his face. As if he couldn't get any more attracted to him.

Daniel points at Max and Nurf. "You two, pick up a toothbrush. You'll be brushing this place squeaky clean."

He heard complaints from the two but one look from Daniel quieted them and sent them running off to find a toothbrush.