Chapter 5

David's POV_

The following days have been equally productive and interesting. As Jen settled in, everybody started warming up to her. Well, as much as they warmed up to Daniel, which wasn't saying much. But Ered seems to like her.

The camp counselor approached the bundle of kids who surrounded Gwen and Jen. They were both drawing on their wrists with an array of Sharpies that laid scattered beside them.

"Gwen?"

At David's voice, she looked up. And the most unusual thing on earth was on her face. A smile.

"Good morning, David! Jen got me this cool-looking tattoo on the back of my shoulder and now, we kinda match! Ugh, besties, right?" She nudged the counselor beside her. The blonde girl nodded, still working on Nikki's arm.

"I want a big fat grizzly bear on my arm. Or, wait, a huge boa constrictor!" Nikki was jumping around. Jen had to steady her a couple times. They seem to be engaged in what they were doing so David asked Gwen instead.

"What tattoo?"

"You've seen the star on her wrist. I have black stars on my shoulder. It's small and cute. And yeah, I guess the campers heard about it and now, they're asking if they could have tattoos."

"What?! And did you give them any?" David exclaimed.

"Hell no! What am I, stupid?" Gwen laughed. "Jen got this idea where we draw on them instead.. It ain't harming anybody. And now we're vandalizing children." She finished up with Harrison and he went on his merry way.

"Um, is this even allowed?" David doesn't remember reading about this in the Camper's Handbook. The two girls shrugged.

"As long as it's making the campers happy," he relented.

Ever since Jen's arrival, David's being robbed off his time with Gwen. They must really get along, creepy magazine aside. And the pentagram. If this is what's finally making his friend happy, then David shall see to it that they'll all get along. He misses Gwen too though.

David's aware that Daniel's been acting a bit weird lately. Whenever he and Jen were talking, he'd see them whispering to one another and making rude faces.. David wasn't blind. He was concerned if they had problems of their own. Or maybe... are they together? David never thought of this before. It could be a possibility. Oooh, a lover's quarrel, perhaps? He put a finger on his lips. Daniel never struck him as someone who'd be in an intimate relationship. Then again.. with a face like that.

David fans his face as he feels blood rush to his cheeks. Co-workers shouldn't feel this way about their co-workers. Especially someone who looks so out of his league. Someone as perfect and talented and handsome as Daniel.

David starts covering his face. It's okay! This is okay. It's normal to feel this way. Usually, it's not with another guy. Hoo boy! David heads over to the lake and takes a deep breath. He can clear out his thoughts here.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Nature is his home. His happy place. David belongs here, with the tall, lush trees and the scent of nature all around him. The camp counselor looks down at the water and smiles at his reflection. He's pretty happy with the way things are going on in camp, despite his friendly rivalry with Daniel, which may or may not still be a thing.

He can hear Max and his friends talking in the background. Max, being devil incarnate himself, is still talking rudely behind Daniel's back. David leans back to listen.

"I fucking swear, something's wrong with that psycho! I feel it in my gut,"

"Max, you're delirious. It's the Kool Aid talking," Nikki argued even as she sounded distracted.

"But that's the thing! We never got to drink the Kool Aid. Something's fishy around here,"

"Yeah, like, Daniel could be the type to check those nutrition facts at the back of every food packaging. He could genuinely be health-conscious and had second thoughts about letting us intake something unhealthy." Neil suggested.

"... You don't actually believe that, do you, Neil? My god, that's the most bullshit thing I've ever heard from you."

"Or.. yeah, you have a point. He kinda freaks me out too.." Neil relented.

The brunette knew from the start the kids doubted Daniel's methods. They never cozied up to him. He was just as good–if not, better–than David at being a camp counselor. David would never admit it, of course. He had a certain superior aura around him that made David want to obey his every order.

He laughed at that idea. Daniel should learn from him too. They can exchange camp counseling tips sometimes and teach each other what the other knew. In their spare time, of course. He stood up from his spot and checked the to-do list he always had on him. Right. Capture the flag.