Chapter 7

Is it just me or does something feel off in this place?" Cameron Campbell squinted as he inspected the mess hall. David instructed the kids to go play outside and be safe as the "adults had to talk". The eager camp counselor watched as Cameron walked around the mess hall, glancing occasionally at the side as if something appeared in his peripheral vision. Gwen was leaning back on the wall with arms crossed, looking none too pleased with being disturbed. She was watching Teen Prison Mom Wars at the time David decided to knock on her door. It took him a couple tries.. well, okay, maybe more than 10 knocks but eventually, she answered.

David spent his time with the kids and looked after them while his co-counselors were off busy doing other things. He was slightly disappointed that no one stayed behind with him. He expected maybe Daniel would stay. But he understood his co-workers needed their privacy too.

"That's ridiculous, sir! Everything is exactly the same as you left it. Your campers are happy. Your camp counselors are happy. I'd say it's a fine day!" David nudged Gwen, trying to bring a smile to her face. She grunted instead.

"That's one way to put it," he chuckled. The camp founder stopped by a window and gazed outside.

"They're not here. Yet," David heard him mutter under his breath. He learned not to question things whenever Cameron Campbell was around. Besides, he never gave them direct answers. He tugged on his yellow neckerchief in anticipation and wondered what took the others so long.

"Hey, didn't you say you recruited a bunch of idiots—I mean, enthusiastic workers? Who are they? Do they have anything suspicious in their documents?" He turned around to face Gwen and David. Just as David opened his mouth to speak, the door burst open and in came the duo, Daniel and Jen.

"Good day, sir!" they greeted in synchrony. It was the most fascinating thing David saw. If only he and Gwen could be like them. The duo filed into the room after closing the door behind them.

"This is Daniel and Jen, the new recruits of last week. And probably the only recruits we're ever going to have," Gwen blew out a breath.

"My god, they even look the same," Cameron Campbell said under his breath. David heard it and almost laughed. Yeah, Jen and Gwen really looked alike.

"Now, come on, Gwen. Surely, we could recruit more if we had the heart to do it! It takes patience and dedication. Heck, we got them, didn't we?" David gestured to the two white-clad counselors. They grinned back, a strange smile that didn't feel quite right. Gwen's frown lifted into a half smile as she looked at them. Who was she directing that smile to? He looked back at the two.

"That's right! Surely, we could make this camp a bigger and better place, if we put our hearts into it!" Daniel cheered.

"Whoa, there! Um, how about we keep this camp as small as we can and try not to get too much attention, aye? There are... people out there. Bad people," The camp founder sweated nervously and nudged David. He was winking none so discreetly. David didn't get it.

"Aww but sir, don't you want Camp Campbell to be the most well-known camp there is? We're here to unite people and help them develop their skills!" He spread his arms over his head in excitement. Oh, the thought! He can imagine all the cheerful campers coming together in a bonfire. They'll be laughing and singing and joining hands. David wished it would come true. Beside him, Gwen dropped her jaw in horror.

"Don't you think so too, Gwen?" David asked, ignorant of her disgust.

"Please leave me out of this, David. I'd want nothing more than to leave this place," she begged. The brunette laughed. Gwen was always the funny one. Sometimes. She didn't mean it. That put him at ease.