Chapter 3 [a new Beginning]

The campers were all in the mess hall, eating the lunch prepared for them by their trusted camp counselor. At least, David thinks they trust him. He prepared the food by himself sadly, since Gwen was busy showing Jen around and Daniel decided to tag along. David frowned. Was the guy avoiding him now? Just because he sang better doesn't mean he had to be all down in the dumps. He giggled. Okay, he knows that wasn't actually the reason why. There was some sort of rivalry going on between them and maybe, just maybe, Daniel wasn't all too happy about it. Admittedly, he thinks Daniel had a pretty damn great voice, pardon his language. I mean, I wouldn't mind going another round with him, David thought, smiling all the while.

In fact, maybe I could trick him into singing with me again! Maybe we can duet in camp fire songs? Oh, David was really excited for that one.

The red head heads into the hall where he sees Max talking to his friends and neglecting his food. Tsk tsk, David frowned. He approached the trio and seeing Nikki's enthusiastic wave to him, Max slouches back.

"Maaax, what did I tell you about playing with your food?" he chided him. The boy gave him a glare and a very... inappropriate gesture with his fingers. Nikki guffawed, tidbits of food flying everywhere. David grimaced in displeasure. Then Max sighed and put down his hand.

"Sorry, David. I just don't feel good. I feel like I'm missing something here. It doesn't feel right with me," he admitted.

"Awww, maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed," David suggested. He kneeled down and patted Max's head in an attempt to comfort him. Max knocked his hand away as always.

"Yeah, right. Max always wakes up in the wrong side of the bed," Neil snickered. Nikki laughed too. Before David could chide them for it, Max beats him to it with a punch to Neil's face. The boy fell back and his glasses flew.

"Max!"

"What? He saw that coming,"

"Not anymore! I think you broke my glasses." Neil groaned from the ground.

Nikki was still laughing when David helped the other boy up. Boy, this is going to be a tough day, David internally sighed. But we can work it out. He dusted Neil off and left the trio alone.

The camp counselor left the mess hall and stepped outside. He took a deep breath and inhaled the fresh air. Even if the campers weren't making his job any easier, he always appreciated the environment surrounding them. He especially liked going deep into the forest to meditate sometimes. The ambiance wasn't like any other place in camp. It was quiet and he let the silence drown him. Sometimes, he'd hear echoes of a bird chirping or a squirrel scampering up a tree. It brought a smile to his lips.

"Yeah, that's about it. We kinda lack on equipment and the campers might be brats and all, but man, sometimes the scenery can just be breath-taking." David turns his head to where he heard Gwen come from. Jen's head swiveled around slowly as she took in everything. Behind her, he found Daniel lurking.

"Hey guys!" David approached them, glad to see his friend and the two other co-counselors.

"You must be David," Jen faced him.

"Yeah! Nice to formally meet you, Jen." David held his hand out. He saw Jen hesitate then she raised her hand to shake his. For a second, David felt the urge to look down. When he glanced down at their clasped hands, he saw a red pentagram-like tattoo on Jen's wrist. He stared for a second too long as the other camp counselor took her hand back a little too quickly.

"Now that we're all acquainted, let's remember that we have campers to watch over. Jen and I can stay out here–" Daniel was interrupted when Gwen put her hand up.