Chapter 16

Daniel's POV__

The next morning, Daniel deliberately avoided the brunette. He slept in and didn't answer the door when he knocked. He felt bad about it—an asshole, even—but he had to supress these.. otherworldly desires he felt for him. Daniel's heart feels like it could explode from all the pumping. It wanted to break out of his rib cage. That was a scary thought.

Worst of all, he smiled. Not the forced grins he made to deceive other people to like him. It was genuine giddiness that forced a smile on his face. Along with that terrible feeling—butterflies! His stomach had tons of those ugly little creatures. He'd spit them all out if he could.

But he can't. And it's David who seems to be making him feel this way. Those auburn locks, those soft green eyes. It was torture! Everything was in high definition whenever he was around. All he could see was him and him and him! Not even Jen's annoying voice could penetrate his thoughts. And speaking of which...

"Daniel!" she singsonged from outside his cabin. It was already 10 AM. He faked a convincing cough loud enough for other people outside his door to hear.

"My my, coming down with a terrible cough?" she exaggerated this question. He wondered if it was to put up a show. She didn't care if he got sick. The feeling's mutual. He heard other voices. David was certainly there, worried for him. The counselor tossed in his bed and put the blanket over his head.

This is your fault, he thought.

A knock. "Daniel, you better let us in. If you really are sick, you'll need all the treatment you can get!" It was David. He made no response.

"I'll watch him," Jen offered from outside.

"Um, that's nice of you, Jen. But I think it'd be best if you stuck around camp with Gwen and let me—"

"Oh, no, you're not going anywhere. It's your turn to watch the kids, David. Let Jen take care of Daniel," Gwen interrupted. His chest tightened and it felt odd. What was he feeling?

"But..."

"It's okay, David. You'll get next watch once I patch him up." Then some more inaudible talking. At that point, Daniel decided he was glad it was Jen who's going to enter his room. I don't think I'd be able to handle being in the same room as David. He palmed his face and groaned.

Footsteps started to recede until there was only silence. For sure, Jen stood alone outside.

"Let me in, drama queen," she pounded on the door. He rolled his eyes and got off the bed, opened the door to her Cheshire-like grin and was compelled to slam the door on her face. But instead, he left it open and went back to bed.

"What seems to be the problem this time?" She asked as she closed the door. "Getting blue-balled? Is it unrequited love?" Jen gasped. "Or did you finally realize we've been in this camp for weeks and haven't slain a single child?" That brought out a chuckle in him.

"All of the above." He looked out his window to see Gwen and David entering the mess hall. He drew them close.

"Should I even ask how you know about my infatuation with..." he trailed off. The cultist wondered if she knew who he was having feelings for, or if she was merely testing him to see if her speculations were true. Too late now, he thought.

"David. I've seen the way you look at him. It's stupid," she sat down on one of the chairs. "The way your pupils grow wide and the smile that hitches up a tad bit bigger than your usual smile. God, it's sickening." She laughed. She dusted off her pink blouse and went quiet. She must've figured out Daniel had let her ramble. It wasn't a daily occurrence.