Chapter 6

Daniel's POV ___

"I never understood how you are so satisfied by spilling copious amounts of blood," Daniel drawls as he checks his fingernails, laying back on a chair and feet up on the desk. He and Jen were chilling in his cabin after the campers have finished their activities. Capture the flag, they called it. In his previous camp, they called it "capture the sacrificial lamb".

He was joking. That was Jen's area of expertise.

A clunk. A knife lodged in his desk. That's going to leave a mark, he frowns in dismay. Jen groans from her seat then looks to the co-counselor.

"You haven't felt true blood lust, my brother. Ascension isn't just about poisoning the innocent and sending the damned to a celestial slaughter house." Jen puts a hand on the desk and yanks the knife away.

"But that's exactly how I intend to do things. It's a piece of cake. It also saves me time from having to cleanse my bleached clothes of bloodstains." With a watchful eye, he follows the blonde girl's movements. He watches how she skillfully twirls his knife in one hand. It's the same knife he almost lodged in her throat the night when she refused to see the light. It would have happily met its destination until something in Jen stirred. An awakening of some sort from the demons within her. Daniel's job had been done.

"Must you always be a prick, Danny? If it weren't for your obsessive need to always be clean and oh-so-shimmering-splendid, you'd see. You'd see that the blood that coats your hands won't be enough. You'll want to bathe in a waterfall of it. An unhealthy amount of sticky, red–"

"I get it. I see the picture. Quite frankly, I find it disgusting. Is this what girls go through every month?" He feigned repulsion. Seeing the confused look on his friend's face, he almost laughed.

"What? No!" she blanched "Daniel, you're missing the big picture. I want you to feel what I feel. The adrenaline in my veins. The lust to do so much more," Jen moves forward and puts her elbows on the desk in an attempt to look intimidating.

"How do you suppose I feel that?" Daniel asks in a tone none too politely. He wasn't one to turn away from his methods to do something others preferred him to do. He had his way of doing things. Jen was asking for too much.

"We initiate the slaughtering ourselves," Jen grins in slow frightening way that would've sent chills up anyone's spine. Unfortunately, Daniel wasn't anyone. He ponders over this for the entire time Jen was blabbering about the camp and it's equipment. Or lack, thereof. The other blonde tells Daniel how she'd love to tear off the kids heads if they asked her more stupid questions, especially the kid with the helmet. Jen's been dying to get rid of him.

"All in due time, my dear," Daniel drawls as Jen rants about the kids nonstop, as if she hadn't heard him speak.

She's an interesting person, Daniel admits. She's just like him, but oh so different. Sadly, she cracked more easily. It was pretty easy to get on Jen's nerves and that gave her away so quickly. He tilts his head to the side as he watches her stab the air with his knife. She was also very aggressive. Jen just hid it well. He sees it as a weakness. The more vulnerable you are to feelings, the easier you are to figure out. The more they can break your shell. Daniel refuses to be someone like that and really thinks Jen should do the same.

"-think we could help them?"

Daniel is snapped out of his thoughts when silence followed Jen's words. He realized she was asking a question. The co-counselor looked at him straight in the eye.

"Sorry?"

"I said, do you think it's possible we can help them?"

Daniel's eyebrows creased together. "Who's them?"

"David and Gwen! My dear precious god, haven't you been listening to me? I think it's a good idea to try and bring them over to our side," now, what she proposed could be a dangerous idea. The last time Daniel persuaded someone, he was on the verge of killing her due to his impatience. Instead, he made this monster with the lust for blood and trashy magazines. Too damn impulsive a move. He'd never admit Jen actually had a place in his heart though. A friendly place. If you call someone you'd like to send to hell and back a friend.

"Gwen's going to be a tough one," Daniel said.

"Nonsense. I got her that matching tattoo. She's just about ready to do anything I say we do. She thinks I'm.." Jen takes a deep breath and lays back in her chair. "Coooool," she grins.

Daniel chokes and bursts out laughing, slamming the desk with his fist. "Jen, when on earth have you been deemed "cool"? Reading trashy magazine to fit in and talking about boys isn't cool. Honestly, Jen, you make me laugh. It reminds me how the un-ascended spend their petty lives," he heard a nervous laugh come from her.

"Gwen's not all that petty. She and I share the same likes..."

"Like what? Talking about boys? There's literally no one to talk about here, unless you're into kids. I'm obviously out of the equation," he blows a stray strand of his blonde hair away and leans back on his chair.

"Pfft, yeah. Who the hell would want to date you?" Jen teased. Offended, Daniel makes a move to retaliate.

A knock came on his door. Then a voice. The sweet lilting voice of the brunette he had been trying to avoid unsuccessfully. That sweet voice that just lures him out of his hiding spot and make him take what's his.

What.. Daniel furrowed his brows. Ah, that's right. I have yet to claim this camp as my own and show the Greater One that I am worthy. He's going to have to prove it by being better than the brunette standing outside his door. Still knocking. Oh, right. He came over and opened it to see David standing there.

"Daniel." He greets him with the sweetest smile on earth. He sees him look past his shoulder and deeper into his cabin.

"And Jen! What a surprise!" It really wasn't. He turns back to the girl in his room and as expected, his knife is nowhere to be seen. Jen waves a hand back at David. "Nice to see you, Davey!" The boy by his door chuckles.

"You need help with anything, David?" Daniel asks, breaking David's attention away from Jen. It was subtle but Daniel could see something else was on his mind now.

"Umm sort of. Gwen's asking me to come get you guys. Cameron Campbell's here," came David's nervous reply. The blonde felt his grin stretch a bit. At long last, he gets to meet the big man himself. Let's see what he's made of, he thinks as he turns to Jen and sees the same calculating expression on her face.

"We'll be there in a minute," he winks at David and closes the door on him.