Chapter 2

Deepika

Ananya did an awesome job in arranging  a grand yet personal farewell for Raksha. She was leaving in a day and as a family we wanted her to leave with smiles and happiness in her heart. I am glad , Adi will be there with her. He really loves her, the softness his eyes carry for her is the proof of his unconditional love. I wish she realize it soon, because if he gives up . She will never be able to find such love again.  ''No, it wasn't my fault . Mom and dad manipulated us.'' I smiled hearing Raksha trying to defend herself and her brothers when Granny shared a childhood stint. She still loves her siblings dearly, she just has to let go her distrust on them. Mom kept on sharing few memories, embarrassing the trio to the core. We laughed holding our stomach looking at their irritated faces. We enjoyed as family and drank all the smiles in, I don't know when next I am going to see them again. I love them, they are only family I have ever known and to protect them I have to leave. My eyes turned to Veer , tears filled my eyes bringing my emotions to the peak. I will be going far, he thinks its for 10 days. But I know , it will take long . Very long. My father might skin me alive or chop me into pieces and discard them in some dirty drain. He will make people believe that I ran away taking all the money or may he might prove me to be a whore. He knows how to make a lie look like a truth. Veer laughed at something throwing his head back and I realized he might hate me too. But I have to do it, for him. For us and for my family. Taking a deep breath I lifted my eyes to meet Ananya's , I know she understands my pain and if I share she will do all to help me . But it would mean pulling her in my mess, which I wouldn't in any case. 

The dance group walked in their traditional attire with veil on their faces. They greeted us and on the music they started to perform. It was magical, I am sure Ananya must have selected the best of the groups. Slowly their veils went up revealing their faces. They kept moving in a circular motions. All of them bend as a part of the movement and the one in front of me lifted her eyes up. My heart stopped, I know her. She had performed in Surya Palace and had warmed my dad's bed. He would do anything for her. She had been visiting the palace  since I was 10. She is in her early 30s. She circled and then smirked passing by me, my heart started thudding. I cannot hide here for long, if he can send her. He can harm my family. Why should this innocent family suffer for my bad luck. She passed by me again , this time there was a piece of paper near me. Looking  around I grabbed that paper . I tried mixing with the happiness of the family , but inside I knew my beautiful days were over.

***

Sleep left me since I saw her face, she appeared to me as nemesis of my happiness. I twisted and Veer groaned. Rubbing his back I waited for him to settle down, once his breathing evened I removed his arm off my body and left the bed. Without making a sound I pulled the the file out of my shelf and left the room. 

''Dear Deepa,

I know you are going to hate me for dragging you back. But I have to , its necessary. I am dying Deepa , I don't have time and energy to fight the evil. My son and your father has now crossed all the limits. All he craves is power, I discovered recently that he had been administering poison in my food. But its late, nothing can be done to save me . I don't regret dying, but my soul won't be in peace till this evil ends. 

You know we as Royals own lands which comprises of 30 odd villages. Your father is trying to usurp everything , he had been bribing those poor nomads through free food and liquor. Once he gains control , all he would do is spread more poison and death. Surya gardh had turned into the land of crimes. I get night mares. Screams of women and children still echo my ears. There are numerous kids working in the glass factory of your father, he had decided to set up a liquor plant too as its profitable. I am ashamed to admit, but I thing he is too human trafficking too. He is so blind that he doesn't see the destruction he is bringing upon people. If this doesn't stop now, soon our lands will turn into graves of innocent people. 

Deepa, save us our name and the coming generation. Mahendra always wanted to be King, but I never gave him the full authority knowing his true colours. Hereon, you will be my heir. The Queen of Surya garh, I give you all the powers I hold now. But I take the rights of tranfer from you, after you this wealth goes to your child''

Forgive me my child, but you are my last hope

Blessings,

Your unlucky Grandmother Gayatri.

Yes, I am cursing her. She is not leaving me wealth, she is leaving me soaked in blood  among the pack of wolves . My father hates me, having a girl in my place is a crime. My mom is a failure as a support. A woman who cloud never fought for her rights , how can I expect her to stand for her daughter. My brother, Maan he used to have some pity on me . But now even he will despise me for taking his and his son's rights away. A sudden realization hit my brain, this why he wants me back. He can have me locked in the Palace and force me to dance on his tunes. Leaving my chair, I started pacing around . Can he? What if I refuse to leave this place ? Will you let those poor people die ? Are you sure he cannot harm the ones you love? He had send his mistress here, next time it could be with an explosive. Reasoned my mind. Yes, he can do that. Had my granny's guard not updated me that day. I would have lost Veer. Picking the file up I left the study to go back to my room. Locking the file in the locker, I silently made my way to the bed. Before I knew his arm pulled me closer ''I was about to send a search party for you'' came his sleepy voice. I giggled burying my face in his chest. For all the time I have, I am going to spend each and every moment in the arms of my love. 

***

Ranvijay Hukum is asking for you , I was busy with few people who had come to see  Granny when the staff came in with the message from bhai. Excusing myself I made my way to the grand hall. 

Bhai stood there watching the portrait of all 3 siblings together. He had his back to me. I was aware of this moment. I knew it was approaching soon. Yet, I was nervous and scared. My heart picked up the pace and palms turned sweaty . " take a seat Deepika" I shivered realising he was aware of my arrival. I swallowed once moving to the couch , he turned. His face stern, he is the one who welcomed me in this family without any inhibitions. He got me acceptance among all, he treated me like Raksha and today looking at his stony eyes I feel losing my biggest support "don't hate me Bhai. Please " My voice came as a whisper and he frowned" then tell me what's  wrong?  I will keep you safe" I wanted to , but then the note I received from that dancer came to my mind" come home silently and your family lives. One wrong word and you will mourn them for life"  fear rushed through my veins turning my blood cold. I can't take a chance. I have to face this alone. " it's nothing bhai, I am just worried for my Grand mother" I lied and he huffed. I know my lie is written all over my face and he has read it too. 

"I know your trip has something to do with the attack on Veer. I won't even spare you, if I see Veer in a pain''  I felt my heart breaking into million pieces, is he blaming me for the attack. That moment I felt hollow inside, an orphan who has no one . It was my fate to be hated and despised by all I cared for . I was lucky to have their affection for so long  and now my days here are over. I took a deep breath and gathered all my strength . I have to give him an answer because without it he won't  budge. ''You did everything which was beneficial for Raksha, even when she hated you. I love Veer bhai, I will do all to keep him safe. Even if it meant he hating me for life. I tried to stay calm, but my eyes gave away. Tears came rolling down my cheeks and I his my face in my palms sobbing vigorously.  After a minute I felt a palm on my head and then came his commanding voice " send her in" . Out of curiosity I kept my palms down staring at the door, with crinkling sound of ankles a young girl walked in " she is Sitara,  She will accompany you to Surya Mahal" 

I stood dumb found looking at the young girl " bhai I can't risk her life" true, I don't trust the animals in Surya Mahal.  I wanted the girl to support me, instead she smirked and took a step forward " I will keep the princess safe Hukum. It's my word to you" bhai smiled " don't hesitate to kill Sitara, Deepika belongs to Rathore Palace and she should be back here without a scratch. I don't care how long it takes " The girl bowed to us and left. I know bhai cares , but what scares me is About The future of this innocent young girl. I have no choice to take her. But I promised myself to keep her safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Veer's POV and the separation