Chapter 8

Deepika

These months have been nothing more than a battle. Dad wouldn't let me in one of his factory, that claims to a block printing place. In reality, it was a place where he hid his dark secrets. I hated the blood that runs in my veins , looking at the group of girls in late teens and early twenties. They were being kept like animals in a barn. They whimpered when I stepped in the basement. I didn't believe when my granny wrote about my dad being involved in human trafficking. But now, I loathe him. The girls seemed hungry and tortured. The foul smell of the place had me choked, it was damp cold and scary. When I approached them, they all bundled themselves in the corner. Trying to escape the unknown. I flinched, that moment I decided to free them all. I don't care of repercussions. But these lives were equally important as mine, and they deserve to breath in fresh air. ''Leave them all and make sure they reach their destination safely.'' I asked

The men flinched. I understand their concern, they think that I am just a temporary arrangement and once my father takes the reign they will have to face his wrath. Sitara came close and whispered, ''Hukum, it can be dangerous. It will unleash his anger. Don't risk yourself, not now.'' I understood her concern for me and my baby.

We kept the pregnancy under wraps for 5 months but by 6th, it was too evident. And once the truth was out. Maherdra Singh celebrated the grand way. He was about to get his heir. The puppet he plans to rule. They started treating me like a Queen and why not. I am the only one who could give them what they wanted. That night I couldn't sleep. I was scared worried for the one growing in me. I wish him to be more like his father. I fear that the blood in my veins might transfer my father's trait into him. Him, I thought. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl, but I wish for a son. What if I am not able to save the child from my father? And if it's a girl he might exploit her too. But one thing was sure, from now till the birth of my baby I will all that is necessary to get Suryagarh free off Mahendra Singh.

''Hukum!'' Sitara's voice broke my thoughts but I had made the decision. ''Take this as an order , free these girl now or I kill your families.'' The men were alert now. In these months I have gained few trustworthy people who had been wronged by my dad and Jai Singh, my granny's guard had also laying the foundation of my freedom. My dad kept my request to have him as my guard. Not a request, I threatened to kill myself and he feared losing all the money. My eyes met Jai Singh's and he understood. Its 3 weeks for my child to open his eyes in this world and I promised him the better one. Tomorrow, will the first day of Mahendra Singh's public humiliation.

***

''Who the hell gave you the permission to malign my name?'' My father snarled as I sipped the my first tea in the dinning area impassive of his anger. When I didn't respond he snatched the cup smashing it on the floor. The other members on the table got up scared. He grabbed me by arm pulling me up roughly. A wave of pain hit my body but I stayed calm, ''What is this.?''

He asked smashing the news paper on my face. I smiled, my work was done. The world knows of his reality. These months here I had been collecting necessary proofs against him. I stayed quite because I wanted to reach those innocent girls. Their plight felt that of mine. Those dark dam dungeons of my home still scare me in dreams. It was just Veer's arms where I have a clam and peaceful sleep. Veer, the mere thought bought smile on my face and next minute the cheek stung with pain

''This is the last time you are smiling you bitch.'' He snarled pushing me. Another shot of pain hit my body. ''Lock her and kill her once she delivers. Finally, I will be the free of the curse of this ungrateful child.''

I wasn't listening. All I feared was for my child. Two hands gripped my arms, pulling me up and then came a voice, ''Touch her and I will end your lineage this instant.'' Taking deep breaths I looked up, Sitara stood there with menacing green eyes and a knife against the neck my 2 yr old nephew. One were the veil and drapes. When Mahendra Singh didn't relent she pierced his arm and the child wailed. ''Have on doubts Mahendra Singh, I am no ordinary staff.'' I saw my dad gaping at her, he understood who she was. Her tattoos represented the deadly tribe. He ordered two men to grab her and in second next they were on floor holding their necks as blood poured out. I smiled, she chose the right target. My dad can die for his grandson , he doted the boy like he doted my brother. He kept his eyes locked with Sitara not ready to let me go , she smirked and her knife went in air slashing my brother's chest, who was slowing moving in her direction. ''Have one thing clear Mahendra Singh, I I don't win, I will kill Deepika Hukum and the unborn child. But I won't let you have them.'' My dad's eyes went to my withering brother and then Sitara. He eyes held no emotion, she resembled nothing but a clod blooded assassin.