Azalea

"I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" Cass asked and I just nodded putting my headphones on. I crossed the street and started walking to my neighborhood. I looked at my houses driveway and kept walking, I needed some alone time. I walked to my usual pathway and opened the trees up. I breathed in the fresh scent of nature, the familiar comfort the place brought.

I could stay here forever, I could just drag a tent out here and watch. Watch life fly by.

I laid down and felt the grass blades brush against my exposed ankles. I closed my eyes and nodded along to my music, blinking slowly. I sighed in content but realized that this moment won't last forever.

I looked at the time, I had been here about an hour, time flew by fast. My mom would worry me to hell and back, I need to get back. I grabbed my bag and threw it over my shoulder, exiting my little nook and found my way back to the sidewalk.

My small, brown house came into view, my moms blue, beat up van was parked in the driveway. I ran up the tiny staircase that led to the porch which contained a screened door and white rocking chairs that weren't so white anymore.

The door squeaked as I opened it and my mom peeked around the kitchen threshold, she smiled and went back to whatever she was doing. I let my bag fall in the corner of the room next to the old, brown couch.

I walked to my room at the end of the hall checking in my sisters room to see her sleeping soundly, I smiled and went to my own room. I sat on my bed pulling out my journal just for my emotions, it's not necessarily a diary but it calms me when I'm feeling angry or sad about something.

Today I decided to write about the girl in my English class, her name is Jessie and she's fine I guess. Cass thinks she's really pretty, she's pretty good looking, I can't lie.

"Kat, can you get your sister for me?" I nodded even though she couldn't see me. I walk to her room and shake her lightly, her head turn toward the wall and I smile.

"C'mon sweetie, get up" I say softly, she groans slightly but raises her head fast when she realizes that it's me.

"Kitty Kat" she giggles and I pick her up.

"How has my little flower been?" I say kissing the side of her head, she giggles again. I bring her into the kitchen and set her down in her booster seat. I help my mom bring the food and drinks to the table. I make my sisters plate then make my own.

We all sit and dig in. I saw my sister drifting in and out of sleep and I smile. I scoot my chair over to her "here Azalea, let me feed you then you can go back to bed okay?" She nodded and let me feed her. Yes, she's 8 but having a sister with down syndrome needs a little more effort.

She eats as much as her stomach can take and I carry her back to her room, she whines and won't let me put her down "you bed" she mumbles but I get the idea. I walk a few more steps to my room and set her under the untidy comforter, she smacks her lips and drifts off to sleep.

I went back to the kitchen to finish my meal, my mother staring at my some of the time "why do you do it Kat?" I give her a questioning look but finish my chewing before responding.

"What do you mean"

"Why do you put people before yourself Kat?" I shrugged and continued eating.

"People matter to me I guess," my mom smiled and nodded.

"She means a lot to you huh?" I nodded.

"More than you know, my sister is my world."