Chapter One

Egypt smoothed down the front of his neatly pressed jeans and shirt and adjusted the strap of his guitar case which safely housed Jay (he'd rather stick with Jay for now) a vintage acoustic guitar he bought with his first four months' salary. He took one last look at himself in the tinted glass and unlocked the door and pushed it open which plainly said 'PULL'. Shrugging he locked the door and the moment both feet were over the threshold loud Blues music assailed his ears giving him a delicious shiver down his spine.

Glancing around the store Egypt saw no one. He approached the counter that had the cash register and leaned against the edge of it. It's been a while since he'd been to work this early before. The song that was playing ended and another he knew by just the first fifteen seconds started playing. Egypt closed his eyes and listened the strumming of the guitars and he began swaying slightly. Good lord this was an awesome song. Egypt started singing the words lowly while bobbing his head and a little hip action.

Looking up Egypt saw the video showing on the flat screen TV attached to the wall and bam! His inner rock star came out and he quickly got Jay out of his case and started mimicking Jokull Juliusson's playing. Even went as far as belting out the lyrics. Head banging and some fancy footwork and he did a spin when the screaming started. Egypt had a mini heart attack when he saw none other than Joshua Pits standing behind the counter with his arms folded over his chest.

Egypt squeaked and stopped abruptly feeling hot all over. Mortification and tiredness setting in from his little one man show moments earlier. He reached over the counter and pressed pause on the laptop that he usually played music on and slowly looked up.

Joshua Pits was a big man and that was mostly due to his job there as a head mechanic at Pits Stop and Garage which he now co-owned with his older brother Mason Pits. Egypt only met the younger Pits boy last year October when he had just gotten back from prison and Egypt was deathly afraid of the man and it wasn't all the piercings and tattoos that kept Egypt a safe distance from the man, oh no, it was the way Joshua looked at Egypt. Like a starving man. Like he could just eat Egypt up in one big bite. Then the next minute he'd glare at Egypt like he stole something from the man and maybe... well... technically Egypt did. He got half of Joshua's job guess you could say since he didn't know a lick of mechanical work but he knew how to sell things.

Joshua had a dangerous air about him and as far as Egypt knew, Joshua was in jail for two years because he got drunk one night and knocked the snot out of a guy or so the story went. Egypt was only sixteen at the time and Joshua a cool twenty-five years old. When Joshua went to prison Egypt applied when an ad came out in the papers and he got the job the very next day after Joshua's sentencing as sales clerk and store attendant-lucky Egypt huh? Maybe, before Joshua waltzed right in and glared him down for a whole minute before looking at him like a dude would after seeing a woman for the first time after two years in prison and that frightened Egypt to no end.

"Joshua!" Egypt squeaked out slowly taking Jay off his shoulders and resting him gently on the counter.

"Boy." Joshua never called Egypt by his god given name, always 'Boy' or 'You' and Egypt's personal favorite 'You, over there in the green shirt (or whatever shirt he happened to be wearing that day).

"Didn't know anybody was in this early." Egypt got out with a trembling voice.

"I live upstairs Boy. Obviously I'd be the first one in." Joshua responded not moving an inch or even blinked.

"Oh... yea he-he right." Egypt laughed clumsily and began putting Jay away.

"Nice guitar you got there." Joshua said and Egypt ran a palm over his curve and sighed with a little smile.