Chapter Sixteen

Egypt came to an abrupt stop when the first thing he saw was his father glaring at Joshua's arm around his waist. They had just come out of the study at Sira's house and were heading to the dining room for lunch when Egypt's feet rooted to the ground.

"What's wrong?" Joshua asked glancing from Egypt to the tall and very well-built man.

"D-Dad?" Egypt was at a loss for words as his father glared at him while holding a tool box in his hand.

"Oh hey Paul!" Sira said from behind Egypt and the boy followed her with his eyes wondering why the fuck his father was there.

"Thanks for coming by to check out the study." Sira said and Egypt frowned. "But before you do that let's eat." Sira clapped her hands together and everyone shuffled further into the room and took seats. Paul Hanson just so happened to sit opposite Joshua.

After a few tense moments of Joshua trying to ignore Mr. Hanson's eyes on him he finally looked back at the man. "What?" Joshua growled at the man and Egypt grabbed his leg under the table. He did not want his boyfriend and father to have a falling out at that moment.

Mr. Hanson looked away and Egypt sighed in relief. Joshua kept glancing at Egypt who ate like a frightened rat and kept slanting looks at his father anytime Joshua touched him or pecked his cheek.

Mason also looked suspiciously at Egypt but Egypt glared at him in a way that said they'd talk later. Mason nodded and gave Bethany his undying attention.

"Egypt, can I talk to you?" His father asked after dinner and Egypt nodded and he followed the elder Hanson man to the living room.

"Who's that-that ruffian touching you and kissing you all throughout lunch?" His father spat and Egypt crossed his arms defensively over his chest.

"Joshua, my boyfriend. Not that it's any of your business." Egypt spat back and stood his ground when his father stepped closer to him.

"Have you found a place to stay?" his father asked and Egypt glared up at him.

"Yes. Joshua and I share an apartment." Egypt said and his father went absolutely still before his voice boomed out.

"What! You will do no such thing young man." Andrew growled and Egypt glared in defiance.

"We live together whether you like it or not!" Egypt's chest rose and fell with the anger inside him. How could his father think that he's got any say in what Egypt does after he threw him out and onto the streets?

"Do not raise your voice to me Egypt." Mr. Hanson said calmer than he looked.

Egypt cared not what his father wanted. "You fucking kicked me out and Joshua was kind enough to let me live with him. He provided for me when you left my ass out in the cold!"

Egypt's mouth opened when his father grabbed him by his upper arms and violently shook him. "I said do not speak to me in such a manner Egypt!"

"You're hurting me!" Egypt shouted and tried pulling out of his father's hold when Joshua badged in and shoved Mr. Hanson off of his son.

"What the fuck?" Joshua asked and punched Egypt's father in the face. Egypt yelled at them both but neither backed down. This was why Paul Hanson always kept himself in check. His eyes went wild and so did Joshua's in answer to the man's silent challenge.

"Stop!" Egypt tried but he was pushed to the side as Joshua and his father brawled in Sira's living room.

Punches were dished by both men until Mason got there having heard the commotion on his way out of the bathroom.

Mason threw himself in the melee and pried Joshua and Mr. Hanson apart. He shoved Joshua into Egypt's chest and he tried his best to get Joshua's attention while Mason got a good hold on his father to prevent him from rushing at Joshua again.

"Joshua please!" Egypt begged and Joshua stopped moving when he saw the tears rolling down Egypt's cheeks and the fear and pain in his eyes.

"It's okay Joshua. I'm okay." Egypt reassured him when he looked Egypt over for a second and then glared his father's way.

"I think you should move back home Egypt. That boy is no good for you" His father said and Egypt scoffed.

"No way! I'm not coming back after this stunt you just pulled!" Egypt yelled. "You kicked me out Dad and I'll never forgive you for that." Egypt wrapped his arms around Joshua for some kind of comfort and looked up at the man for support but Joshua was just staring past him, jaws clenched.

"I think so too Egypt." Joshua said and Egypt gasped and released Joshua.

"What?" Egypt asked in disbelief. "No!"

Joshua swallowed hard past the lump in his throat and let words pass. "Egypt..." Joshua clenched his fists and looked down at them.

"Your father is right. I'm no good for you Egypt. When I heard you cry out all I saw was red. Nothing else. I didn't care about anything except fighting." Joshua said slowly, lowly.

"What? No Joshua. You were protecting me!" Egypt grabbed onto Joshua's arm and looked up at him with tears in his eyes.

"Egypt I... if you stay with me one day it might be you I'm putting hands on." Joshua said and looked down at Egypt. Hardening his heart and slipping on an emotionless mask Joshua shook Egypt off him.

"You won't hurt me Joshua I know it." Egypt cried out but Joshua went deaf for a moment.

"Stop Egypt. I'm not good for you. All I know how to do is use my hands Egypt. Be it fixing things or... breaking them." Joshua whispered and closed his eyes tightly against his wild imagination. Flashes of a fearful Egypt, bloody and bruised swam under his lids and he saw himself as Egypt's tormentor; hitting him with fists that were supposed to hold him lovingly, Egypt clinging to his arms in fear: arms that were supposed to protect him.

"I lose myself Egypt. I forget everything when I get angry. What if one day I forget you?" Joshua asked trying to keep the emotions out of his voice while his heart thundered in his chest.

"You heard what I did to Fin. You saw the pictures just now. You know what my hands are capable of." Joshua gritted and Egypt just stared at him. Heartbreak in his lovely brown eyes. Pain swimming with the tears.

Joshua refused to look at Mason, refused to look at anybody else in that room. "I don't want you to be another of my victims Egypt. I don't want..." Joshua trailed off and took a deep breath. He needed it for his next words.

"I don't want you Egypt. I can't have you only to hurt you. You're better off without me. I think you should move out as soon as possible. I'll be staying with Mason until you do." Joshua walked off after looking at Egypt's father in the eyes. A silent warning. Hurt him and I'll break you into a million pieces. The man nodded his understanding.

"Joshua!" Egypt clung to him desperately and he closed his eyes allowing himself this final hug.

"Joshua please don't leave me!" Egypt sobbed into his chest and Joshua looked down at his unruly curls, feeling his arms around his waist, feeling his scorching warmth.

Never Joshua wanted to say but his throat clogged up on him as he wrapped his arms around Egypt for a few moments, maybe it was minutes or hours. Joshua removed Egypt's unwilling arms from around him and tilted the boy's face up. A chaste kiss to Egypt's lips and then Joshua ran.

Never had he run away from anything. Never but for Egypt he'd do anything. He'd give anything. Even his own happiness.