Chapter 2 : first impressions

Adrianna POV

I walked into the Shire on soundless footsteps.
Night had fallen, so i went unseen in my black cloak, although my showing weapons glinted in the dim light.
My keen hearing, smell and eyesight directed me to where I needed to be.
My head whipped round as I caught a faint blue glow on the door of a near by hobbit hole.

'Easy to find my back side! '

The symbol hardly glowed and if it wasn't for my heightened sight I would have walked straight past it. I walked up to the door and paused, listening intently to the sounds inside.

"The task will be difficult enough with an army behind us. But we number just 13. Not 13 of the best nor brightest." A voice said.

'Glad to know they have faith in this quest ' I though sarcastically as a wave of insults were shouted back at the first voice. I listened to the voices again, carefully choosing my moment to announce my arrival.

"-you forget, we have a wizard in our company. Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time!"

'Dragons? , I think not !' I scoffed

"Oh ,well , now , I wouldn't say-?"Gandalf started, fumbling for words which I found hilarious.

"How many ,then?" Another voice chimed in, in an accusing tone.

" I ,uh,what?" Great now Gandalf's playing dumb.

I took pity on my long time friend, and knocked on the door. Three sedate knocks announced my arrival, much to the relief of Gandalf .

"Not another dwarf!" a worn voice groaned, as he approached the door.

The door slowly opened, to reveal a hobbit.
I still had my hood up, ( to hide my markings ), so all the hobbit could see were my twin swords and bow on my back.
I placed my fist over my heart and bowed slightly at the frozen hobbit before me.
In doing so I revealed my elf made breast plate, assuring the hobbit I was here on a business matter.
Suddenly, Gandalf came into view with a smile on his face.

"Ah, I was wondering when you would turn up" Gandalf said, gesturing for me to come in. Being polite I looked towards the hobbit for confirmation. This seemed to shock the poor hobbit who stumbled for words.

"She will not step a foot into your home, master Baggins, unless you invite her in" Gandalf sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Er, yes ,yes come in . Please do" bilbo stuttered, as he held the door wide open.
I dipped my head in thanks and stepped in to the lovely little home. I looked around cautiously, out of habit. Behind me, the halfling mumbled something about me being the first one to use manners, which made me smirk.
I looked up as a group of dwarfs came into view, a curious look on their faces.

'Oh no not dwarfs ! They'er too loud and too, well...happy for my liking.'

A handsome tall dark dwarf with shoulder length wavy black hair, and a large fur coat with armour underneath, was the first to speak.
I looked into his ice blue eyes and froze.

'mate.'

"Who is this Gandalf ? You did not inform me of another joining us!" he said rather harshly to Gandalf, making me clench my jaw in annoyance.

'Arrogant dwarf ' I thought 'doesn't he know who he speaks too?'
No, this arrogant, disrespectfull dwarf is not my mate...he can't be.

"Mind your tongue master dwarf. Do you not know who you speak to? " I replied to the dwarf with eerie calmness, making Gandalf put a hand on my shoulder.