Chapter 9 : like lambs to the slaughter

****
3rd person.

"Don't mind her , she has reason to hate Orcs , more so , then most." Gandalf said , apologising for his friend's out burst. The dwarfs seemed to be in a daze and they were now all awake. Bilbo couldn't comprehend how his friend had been so calm one moment , then crazy the next.
Gandalf sighed , leaning back against his rock and puffing on his pipe.

"Tell me bilbo , when you read of the shape shifters , did it tell you HOW they were wiped out?" Gandalf asked in a saddened voice , sorry for his friend's loss.
Bilbo quickly shook his head.

"Hmm. Well , Adrianna was there. The shifters were killed by Orcs , lead by Azog himself. It was on the the night of Adrianna claiming ceremony -"

"I've read about them , it was where the shifters chose a solitary form , so they could not shift into any other!" Bilbo piped in , interrupting Gandalf and earning a 'shut up' face from the listersing dwarfs.

"As I was saying , it was on the night of Adrianna's claiming ceremony , but it was never completed. The orcs ambushed her tribe and slauted them all. Adrianna watched her family die. Azog killed her mother and beheaded her younger brother right in front of her. He burned her entire how to the ground.I knew her before the attack , and I can say she has never been the same. She escaped , but I fear her mind did not. I found her days after the attack wandering the woods , covered in blood. She couldn't evan keep an animal form. Her once bright silver eyes where dull , masked by the death she had witnessed. She kept muttering a word:...Dariel."Gandalf frowned , as if remembering a time long ago.

"In a language so old lord Elrond himself couldn't translate her words. I took her to Radagast , in hopes of repairing her mind. She managed to regain her whit , but I fear she lost the will to live when Azog , the defiler beheaded her brother : Bain. After that she has hunted and killed any Orc she finds.That was what she was doing when I found her. So I brought her on this quest , to give her some purpose. And because she may be the very thing to save us all in the end. That day , not only her home was taken from her , but her family and mind as well." Gandalf finished his long speech , a sad look on his shadowed face.

Suddenly a loud screech and the sound of clashing swords came from the forest below , then silence. Followed by a roar of anguish from Adrianna. Gandalf closed his eyes , knowing he could not help his cherished friend. The camp was quiet as they thought of what Gandalf had said.

****
Adrianna POV

I slinked toward the loud Orcs , a silent snarl on my lips.

"Send word to the Master. We have found the Dwarf-scum." Yazneg ( an Orc I had been hunting for a while) screeched to one of his men , who took off in one direction.

I needed to stop him.
I took out my bow and notched and arrow. First I wanted to trap Yazneg.
I shot his shoulder , pinning him to a nearby tree. I smirked as he screamed in pain.
Two of his men came charging at me on their wargs. I notched another arrow and shot one of the wargs , killing the mindless beast instantly and grounding the orc upon its back. Then i pulled out my two swords with a satisfying 'sling' sound of metal. I charged at the other warg and his rider , a mad twinkle in my eye.

I had the need to saluter them all , but I had to retain my skill.

I sprinted forward , then slid on my knees , using the mud to my advantage. I took my blades and severed the wargs legs ; as it tried to sink its teeth into my neck I took a dagger , and punched its throat. It let out a gurgled scream then went limp. By now the two Orc riders ,and another futile Orc ,were circling me. I slowly turned ,blood dripping off my swords in small streams. The orcs took an uncertain step back as my hood fell.