Chapter 8 : orcs!

Adrianna POV

Night had come upon the clearing , and the fire crackled.
The dwarfs sat in small groups around the camp fire , talking quietly.
I sat off to the side , a little way back from the company.
I watched as bilbo wrote something in his small leather bound book and Gandalf smoked his pipe off to the side.
I noticed that Thorin sat away from the group , as did I.
Suddenly , a sound I was sadly used to screeched in the distance.
To those unaccustomed to the haunting sound , it would seem like the scream of a dying rabbit.
But for a few in our party who knew different , our heads shot up.
I saw Thorin eyes darken with thoughts of the past.
My slender hand snaked around my twin blades , itching to venture on the hunt.
I watched as the dwarfs seemed to tense up , sensing their brothers unease.
Evan Gandalf stopped his pipe puffing.

"How 'bout a tale? I've got one about the shape shifters- uh never mind" Bofur said , his face going red with embarrassment at his words.I winced slightly , I never liked being reminded of my kin.
Suddenly bilbo piped up.

"Adrianna , how about you tell us one , I'm sure you have many great tales to tell" bilbo said , but his face dropped as I shook my head , my expression dark. Indeed I had stories , but not the will to share them.

"How about a tale about dwarfs , perhaps about the very man leading you" Gandalf said , in his wise voice he used only when he wished to sound like the wise old wizard he was.
Some of the dwarfs murmured in confusion , whilst Balin's features hardened as he began.

"After the dragon took the lonely mountain , King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moira. But our enemy had gotten there first" Balin started , and I watched as some of the younger dwarfs moved forward to listen.

" Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler." I tensed up as I heard that name , memories flooding through my memory gates.

"The giant Gundobad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us."
I saw how Thorin stood and paced away from the camp , wanting to hear none of this. I couldn't blame him.

"That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc.
He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent, wielding nothing by an oaken branch as a shield. Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken." I looked over to Thorin , I new sense of respect welling up inside of me.

"Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, nor song, that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived.And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King." Balin finished , looking towards Thorin with loyalty shining in his eyes. Silence settled over us all as we gazed at the king under the mountain. Then bilbo spoke , his voice full of awe.

"But the pale orc? What happened to him?"he asked perplexed.
Thorin strode back towards the camp fire and his bedroll.

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin snarled , his voice full of venom. I froze at his words.

'Lies' I roared in my mind ' lies , that monster is mine to kill'

"Dwalin , take first watch . The rest of you get some sleep , we have a long way to travel tomorrow." Thorin said , lying down on his own bedroll.
Every one else ( except Dwalin ) followed his lead. And soon the camp was silent.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

We had once again been traveling all day. The company had camped for the night near the edge of a cliff. I watched as Gloin slept, tiny flying insects getting sucked into his mouth every time he inhaled, and then expelled when he exhaled. Bilbo also watched in disgust, then finally got up and walked around restlessly. Most of the dwarves were asleep; Gandalf, Fili, Kili and I were however awake (as well as bilbo). I watched as Bilbo sneakily walked over to his pony and gave her an apple, after checking to see that no one is looking.

I chuckled at bilbos sneaky failer , but I didn't care if he treated his pony. I looked down at Thorin sleeping beside me , and smiled slightly . He looked extremely peaceful , his face not contorted with stress. I noticed how young he looked , without his usual worry lines. He looked graceful evan as he slept, quite frankly I found it unfair.
My pointed ears twitch as I listen to the night wind.

"How are you, girl? That's a good girl. It's our little secret, Myrtle; you must tell no one."bilbo cooed , stroking his pony fondly , making me chuckle again. He sure changed his attitude towards ponies quickly when It meant not riding me.
I was glad , as Thorin was a very good bare back rider. He kept his hands soft in my mane , and never kicked my sides.

Strange noises echoes in the night air making me freeze my gentle rocking.

Orcs!

Bilbo heard the noise too and ran over to Fili and Kili , worriedly .
Thorin, who was dozing, jerked awake upon hearing the sound , and pushed himself up on his elbow beside me.

"W-what was that ?" Bilbo asked , his voice trembling. I slowly stood and made my way to the edge of the cliff , scanning the forest below. My eyes locking on to any movement , scanning for my prey.

"Orcs" Killi said ominously

"Orcs?" Bilbo cried , his eyes the size of dinner plates.

"Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them." Filli said , sharing a look with his brother.

"They strike in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood." Killi said , looking intently at bilbo , and spiking my anger. Bilbo looked away in fright; Fili and Kili look at each other and begin laughing.
Thorin went to speak but I cut him of , my anger flaring.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Snarled at the brothers , waking some of the other dwarfs in my out burst. The two boys looked at me eyes wide.

"W-we didn't mean anything by it." Kili stuttered , shocked by my anger.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world. You think they strike quickly and quietly? No! They drag it out , causing as much pain as possible. They kill families in front of their loved ones , and the noise!? The screams can be heard ten leagues away. Next time hold your tongue , fools !" I roar at the two shocked dwarfs , with that I stalked over to my weapons and pulled my two swords out of the ground , a mad gleam in my eyes.

"If you will excuse me. I've some hunting to do !" I said before turning on my heels , and leaving the stunned camp to realise what just happened. I growled deep in my chest and stalked off towards the Orcs in the lowlands to kill off some of my anger.